No announcement yet.

Peas and beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We start ours in large modules so they're usually big enough to survive but that's really interesting about the bitter thing with slugs/pigeons Jungle Jane - I'd not heard that before

Comment

I hadn’t heard about the bitterness before but that’s why mine don’t get eaten then,I might plant broad beans all around my courgette plants 🤔😏

Comment

To plant peas in a tub how many would you put in? (For mum in her garden).
        Northern England.

Comment

It depends on the size of the tub (edit to add - by that I mean surface area as peas don't usually have very deep roots) and variety of pea but they usually need to be around 2 inches apart in the ground. I'd aim for the same sort of spacing in a container, maybe squeezing in a couple of extra. You might get away with 1 inch apart for smaller growing varieties.
          Last edited by Andraste; 09-05-2024, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Shall has very big to 30cm or smaller. Not sure what size best tbh.
            Northern England.

Comment

Originally posted by Containergardener View Post
              Shall has very big to 30cm or smaller. Not sure what size best tbh.
              I’ve used 30cm with a dwarf pea,they flop over the side of the pot if left unsupported. I remember somebody grew peas in hanging baskets & they hang down,no need for support. I use a bigger container now but only because you can fit more peas in & I let them climb up strings tied to a little teepee. I’ve used net before but end up trapping myself out from the peas

Comment

Thanks JJ . Will use bigger and wigwam it.
                Northern England.

Comment

Having not grown broad beans or peas personally do you need to stake them /create a frame or anything in a bed?
                  Northern England.

Comment

Some areas are more windy & exposed so although I’ve never staked individual broad beans,some people might? If you have a block of nine/twelve plants in a container,I’d put four sticks in the corners & tie string around the outside to hold the plants on the edge up,if they’re held up the plants in the middle will be supported if windy & rocking. I do it that way in the ground too,the string on the outside is best touching but not pushing the plants.
                    Peas in a container aren't in an easy line & there’s so many,I zig zag string around little sticks that are in the corners of the pot,the string starting about two inches high so the peas can grab onto the string as they grow.
                    Some people let peas climb up sticks,have a google of pea plant support images for extra ideas & pictures too

Comment

Mine are in a bed . Exposed garden. Have gone and put canes in just incase.
                      Mums garden is sheltered but will be in a tub wigwam style now.
                      Northern England.

Comment

The corner canes & string method hasn't worked very well for us with broadies - too windy here I think. This year we've given them each their own little cane. Edit to add - we grow in beds on the plot so the string/cane is likely to be much more effective in pots.

I made a 'pea harp' for our mangetouts planted in the beds at the pot - I'm always nervous about the mesh type supports as I worry birds might get caught up & we're not able to visit the plot every day to check.

I used the instructions here: https://heroutdoors.uk/2016/04/05/making-a-pea-harp/

It was quite straightforward but you definitely need the centre 2 vertical canes to stop the horizontals bowing under the string tension (I tried just vertical canes at each end to start with to minimise the canes I needed but it could tell it wouldn't be strong enough without the middle two).
                        Last edited by Andraste; 13-05-2024, 08:29 AM.

Comment

I just found the photo from 2017 when I grew peas up netting in a ‘V’ shape,this was the first time I grew broad beans too,you can see at the back several plants with four random canes not tied to them or anything?

Click image for larger version

Name:	996642D0-1203-4FEB-8EF8-6836BE1D3D4A.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	2578940

Comment

I found this other photo,I ended up planting sweet peas amongst the broad beans & tied those to the canes

Click image for larger version

Name:	5802538A-0523-4D55-8A03-4220EC5F1607.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	630.1 KB
ID:	2578944

Comment

I've decided to cane individually .
                              I will be having runners behind them and there's also pergola behind that if anything gets carried away.
                              Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X