My tomato and potato plan for 2024

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My tomato and potato plan for 2024

So I've decided to do things different this year. Although my plan is making me a little nervous because it's not what is the "norm" and it COULD go horribly wrong. But it's a plan that suited my needs.
    I wanted to share it with you guys just to see what you think.

I'm based in the south of London so my last frost is the first week of April.

So last year I grew veranda red tomatoes (a 65 day tomato) they are dwarf baby tomato and they produced incredibly well and they are about 30cm tall and I placed two per 12x12 inch space.
    Because I want tomatoes and potatoes for a years supply, My plan is to fill a 10x3 ft space and then a 3x3 ft space (so in total around 70 odd dwarf tomato plants) they will be in a raised bed under a
    coldframe.

I plan to havest them all in the first week of august (after planting out mid may and sowing mid march, no growlights)
    and freeze them / make pasta sauce etc If some are still green then I will ripen indoors like I did last year.

And then after harvesting, to plant second early spuds into those beds to grow through Aug/Sep/part OCT which is always still 15c here still. And they supplly me with spuds for Jan-April until next years spuds are ready.

I know the risks of planting spuds after toms but I don't think rotation is all that important unless you get blight.
    The toms will be out of the garden before late blight is an issue.
    I've never had blight (but always worry about getting it)

I'd be interested on hearing your thoughts on this plan, I know it goes against alot of growing rules but do you think it has a chance of working?
    I can't tell if it's a great idea or total madness that is destined to fail

So long as you're sure you've not had blight on your tom plants and you feed appropriately, I personally can't see a problem related to rotation.

The only problem that might arise is if someone near you has tom plants and blight spreads to your patch from them later in the season. But this would be an issue regardless of where you plant your potatoes.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
    Working...
    X