This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seed buying thread 2024

Lots of us like to try something new each growing year, so at the special request of smallblueplanet, here's a thread on what seeds we're buying this year that should provide inspiration on varieties we might not have thought of.

Many of us already save seeds to save money, but if something here tickles your fancy, make sure you look around as lots of suppliers sell the same seeds.

A link to last years thread :-

Seed buying thread 2023 - The Grapevine (growfruitandveg.co.uk)
    Location....East Midlands.

I'm looking for Ferline tomato seeds, but everywhere appears to be sold out
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I'm trying some achocha seeds from realseeds.co.uk

No idea what they'll turn out like, but I'll grow a plant each of two varieties to find out.
      Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

Dobbies garden centres have a half price seed sale on, 50% off, I don't know if it's just online, or whether it's in store too.

https://www.dobbies.com/all/plants/g...n/5637242098.c
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Rand View Post
          I'm trying some achocha seeds from realseeds.co.uk

No idea what they'll turn out like, but I'll grow a plant each of two varieties to find out.
          I’ve only grown Fat Baby. The plants grow and grow lengthways! Be aware of that when you plant them out.
          (Remember to pick them up to the size of a large apricot…after that the seeds get harder and the outer shell tougher.)
          Enjoy!

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I'm trying to find my favourite tomatoes - about 5 or 6 varietes so this year I'm trying (* - new this year)
            • Jersey Sunrise *
            • Kenilworth
            • Tims taste of Paradise *
            • Gobstopper *
            • Santiam Sunrise
            • Rose de Berne
            • Omars Lebanese *
            • Earl of Edgecombe *
            • Flame *
            and I'm growing some chillies for the first time in ages - I always used to grow Joes Long
            • Basket of fire
            • Ohnivec
            • Golden Cayenne
            • Annaheim
            as to normal veg nothing particularly spectacular allpretty bog standard stuff apart from peas
            • Sprinter von Marbach
            • Puskki
            and I've got some Sunset Runner beans to try

thats all folks

ntg
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

I've already got most of my seeds for this year. I tend to buy them from seed supplier sales in the autumn.
              But I am trying two new squash varieties, Hungarian Blue (which may or may not be another name for the Hungarian variety Nagydobosi which I grew last year), and Pink Porcelaine Princess.

I also plan to by some St. George runner beans, after I found out that the seeds are white with brown speckles (I'll be growing them for dry beans).

Comment

I thought I'd bought all my seeds already too ameno

I very sensibly discounted ordering Gigantes beans from realseeds as I couldn't justify the p&p for just one packet when I'd ordered everything else already - then I spotted some last week on speedy-seeds with free p&p so they just had to be bought (even though I think I only saved about 70p lol)

Edit to add: if anyone knows how far apart to plant Gigantes please let me know. Internet sources vary from 3" (which seems far to close) to 12".
                Last edited by Andraste; 22-01-2024, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Just ordered two packets of tomato seeds - Honeycomb, which is an F1 (I don't usually buy F1 but this was recommended to me), and Garden Peach, which I've grown before. the fruit is a bit delicate, but nice flavour and I love the downy skin.
                  Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                  Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by Andraste View Post
                    Edit to add: if anyone knows how far apart to plant Gigantes please let me know. Internet sources vary from 3" (which seems far to close) to 12".
                    You can plant them at the same spacing as any other runner bean.
                    I usually space my canes 5-6 inches apart, and plant one plant per cane (I always start all of my beans in pots, as I've found that when I sow them direct bean fly larvae eat them), either in a wigwam of 10-14 canes, or in an A or X frame of two rows of canes (the two rows usually about 20-24 inches apart).
                    Closer spacing will result in fewer beans per plant, but you will get a larger crop per square metre. So if you have the seeds to spare, closer spacing is usually better (within reason. I wouldn't ever go closer than 4 inches). But if you have a limited number of seeds, a wider spacing would probably be better, as you will get a bigger crop from your limited seed supply.

Comment

Thanks ameno. x

Comment

I’ve bought my first seeds today - some dwarf nasturtium and french beans .
                        The itch is scratched!
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Going to sow some salad seeds next weekend. So I had to buy some more seeds, of course!
                          From T&M:
                          Lettuce 'Tom Thumb' (Butterhead)
                          Lettuce 'Intred' (Romaine/Cos)
                          Spring Onion 'Purplette'
                          Carrot 'Autumn King 2'
                          From Premier Seeds on eBay (20% off 5 or more):
                          RADISH - SAXA 2
                          SQUASH - DI ALBENGA TROMBETTA
                          LETTUCE - CATALOGNA
                          LETTUCE - BLACK SEEDED SIMPSON
                          MELON - CANTALOUPE DI CHARENTAIS
                          LETTUCE - RED OAKLEAF
                          To see a world in a grain of sand
                          And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

OH came home with some Cayenne Chilli seed. Had a little chuckle to myself as he's the one who keeps saying 'no more seed this year' but apparently they were 'only 50p' and sort of fell into his shopping basket

I hope you like the Catalongna lettuce smallblueplanet - we've grown those a few years now & they've become my favourite - they don't seem to bolt as fast as others we grow, nice big plants, not too much slug munching (maybe they don't like the leaf shape so much?) & I think they have a lovely tasty leaf.

Comment

Originally posted by Andraste View Post
                              ...I hope you like the Catalongna lettuce smallblueplanet - we've grown those a few years now & they've become my favourite - they don't seem to bolt as fast as others we grow, nice big plants, not too much slug munching (maybe they don't like the leaf shape so much?) & I think they have a lovely tasty leaf.
                              I'm fairly sure we've had them before in a 'mixed' lettuce pkt. OH reckons our slugs don't tend to like the 'red' lettuce as much as the green, perhaps not as sweet?!
                              To see a world in a grain of sand
                              And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X