Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potted the dwarf FB I'd chitted on Saturday - they already have their heads up this morning Also sowed some 'Mixed red leaves' & radish when I was planting up my lettuce trough.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who's not that keen on runners Mark Rand I don't mind them with gravy on a roast dinner but am otherwise largely indifferent about them. We don't grow runners ourselves as they're so prolific on our allotment site we get more than enough donated by those offloading their gluts. We stick to climbing & dwarf FBs & broadies. We're also growing some Gigantes for the first time this year - I've never grown beans for shelling before.

Comment

Chitting more early xtra sweet sweetcorn and some rather old spring blush sugarsnap peas.
      Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
      Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

Planted up the last bag of Charlotte potatoes yesterday

Comment

Andraste i like runners fine sliced and cooked in tomatoes with garlic and olives
          Northern England.

Comment

Containergardener That's a new way of cooking with runners to me - I might give that a try

Comment

Originally posted by Andraste View Post
              Containergardener That's a new way of cooking with runners to me - I might give that a try
              It was in a book I've had years of Jamie Oliver, runner bean stew with monkfish but it goes with anything.

I also use them in stirfries and curries, risotto. I'm a lob in sort of cook
              Northern England.

Comment

I’ve sown another pinch of spring onion seeds in a plant pot.
                …,
                CG this is one of my favourite runner/ french bean recipes.

Madhur Jaffrey’s Green Bean Curry

https://sunhillmakesandbakes.wordpre...en-bean-curry/
                Last edited by Bren In Pots; 21-05-2024, 04:16 PM.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

On Saturday I sowed some 'Welsh Onions' in my quest for perennial spring onions that will clump but not want wander about the place like the walking onions do. Hopefully have the right seed this time, it does specifically state 'Welsh Onions' & perennial on the blurb.

Also sowed some Swede 'Best of All'. Now I just have to convince OH that I did include them in the planting plan & we do have room to plant them according to the recommended spacings....

Comment

This week I've sown radishes, spring onions, Chantenay carrots and Mooli.

Comment

Just sowed two varieties of lettuce oakleaf smile & cervanek.

Comment

Sowed some piccolino basil in a patio container

Comment

A few lettuce all from different packets.

Comment

Salads-, lambs, little gem, oriental and 2 pots of unknown
                            Radish
                            Dill
                            Last edited by Containergardener; 03-06-2024, 07:39 PM.
                            Northern England.

Comment

Nearly all the swede have popped their heads up now but I was holding out little hope for the 'welsh onions' - then I peeped at them this morning & can see tiny little flecks of green

I'm now living vicariously through the posts of others as OH has banned any more seed sowing - he's still muttering about the swede but I reckon I can surely sneak in a few more radish at least at some point

Comment

Direct sowed a few short rows of carrots yesterday (OH has seen the light, or the space or something lol).

I know it's a bit late now so I've sown 'Nates' which are an early cropper hoping now the weather has warmed they'll only want 60 days or so until harvesting. We did ok from an early June sowing last year but those were Autumn King I think & take longer to grow.

Our earlier April & May sown carrots didn't come to much last year. I think the warm weather made the soil form a cap that the seedlings couldn't get their heads through - either that or the slugs got them as soon as they sprouted. This time I covered the drill with compost & scattered some slug pellets.

Didn't have time to make DIY seed tape (only time to grab the packet as we headed out) so I'm a bit concerned about the spacing - I've a feeling they're a bit clump-gap-clump-gap

Comment

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X