X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seed sowing thread 2024.

A new thread for a new year.

Here's last years for comparison :-

Seed sowing thread 2023. - The Grapevine (growfruitandveg.co.uk)
    Last edited by Bren In Pots; 01-01-2024, 08:15 AM.
    Location....East Midlands.

Last week I sowed:
    Tomatoes Tiny Tim and Sweet aperitif
    Chilli Cayenne
    Northern England.

Comment

Peas for pea shoots yesterday.
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Second batch of chilies and peppers:- Chilhuacle Negro, lemon drop, Golden Californian pepper*, F1 Star pepper, F1 protector root-stock
        • First batch of tomatoes:- Cuor di bue, Indigo cherry drop, Indigo rose*, San marzano*, F1 Super sauce¹, Sweet million, Sweet Success, F1 protector root-stock.

* These ones are now up to 6 years old and I need to save some from this year's crop if they grow.
        ¹ These are Mr Fothergills, described as cordon/indeterminate type, but when I grew the first half of the packet, they appeared to be bush/determinate. There seem to be two strains in existence or the hybrid is barely indeterminate. other growers have commented on the Interwebs that they can perform as determinate plants.
        Last edited by Mark Rand; 23-01-2024, 10:48 PM.
        Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

Sowed spring onion Lisbon, little gem.lettuce and red and green salad bowl.
          Northern England.

Comment

Some Tiny Tim and sweet aperitif are up
            Northern England.

Comment

Good germination from last week's chillies and tomatoes. Only failure is a couple of remaining bell pepper seeds from 2018, they might still come up, it's only been 9 days!

Today, I started off the cucumbers, leeks, pansies, and antirrhinums (antirrhina??).

Squashed up some dried Yellow Seven Pot chillies from one of the jars in the kitchen (kept dry with silica gel) and set a couple of dozen seeds soaking to see if any will germinate. If not, I might have to buy some more seeds...
              Last edited by Mark Rand; 01-02-2024, 08:42 PM.

Comment

My chili's haven't shown themselves yet

I also Did some more sowing.
                antirihiummmiss , radish, spring onions, oriental salad, coriander and dill
                Northern England.

Comment

Hi Containergardener,

Chillies can take a fortnight (sometimes longer) to germinate. I made a note last year that the ones I sowed on 11 Feb popped up on 26 Feb (unheated on windowsill).

Yours would have been about 3 weeks now I think? I wouldn't give up just yet - might just be slow-coaches or not quite warm enough yet - but I'd be tempted to sow a few more seeds or put some to chit just in case. x

Just thinking I should probably have posted this on the chilli sticky-thread but too late now lol

Comment

They were in the propagator with my toms. Always worked before but I shall give them a little lie in. Thanks .
                    Northern England.

Comment

If all else fails, I find that telling things straight that they need to pull their socks up or end up in the dalek usually gets stuff moving (or at least makes me feel better)

Comment

Mixed lettuce seeds.

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...40#post2574640

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

In the last week or so I've resown some more aubergines and chillies. I've also sown my beefsteak toms, only two varieties this year, black beauty and ananas and aztec a dwarf micro tomato for the windowsill. Plus some sutton broad beans.

Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                          Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                          https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                          Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Sown today:
                            Rhubarb
                            Strawberry
                            Cape gooseberry

Parsley
                            Tarragon (russian)
                            Garlic chives
                            Marjoram

Summer leeks

Then soaking some broad beans on kitchen roll and same for chillis.

Probably something else but who knows what.
                            Northern England.

Comment

Some more cucumber Louisa because the previous ones don't seem to have germinated.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X