No announcement yet.

Old wood with Creosote - raised beds ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old wood with Creosote - raised beds ?

I spent all afternoon constructing a 3 tier raised bed from planks of wood I found at the plot I have recently taken on. When drilling the wood I did smell creosote, but as these planks are years old I don't think they will be a problem but after all that work and effort I just couldn't bear the thought of having to not use them.

Has anyone else used wood with creosote with any problems ?

Marb, I wouldn't use wood with creosote on a veg bed, and yes I have used it in the past with no ill effects that I know of, which would than say you should be alright, but should be, isn't will be, so I wouldn't use them
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

I wouldn't want to risk using it for fruit or veg, just in case.
      I'd feel fine using it for an ornamental bed, though.

Comment

That's all the wood there is so I'll just have to put everything (Autumn onions/brassicas) in the open soil in the hope that slugs don't get to them.

Oh well, thanks for confirming. I shall dismantle it all. Back to square one then

Comment

Now that I think about it, you could probably just line the wood with something non-porous, like plastic sheeting of some sort. That would prevent any chemicals from the creosote from leeching into the soil.

Comment

Wooden edged beds or open soil are both easy access for slugs/snails anyway

Comment

I would line the sides of the beds with plastic sheeting, but leave the bottoms open for drainage.
              A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Plants roots don't just go down and when the soil is wet any chemicals will leach sideways into the bed where the roots are, ;I agree with Rary, why would you want to eat chemicals in your food?

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
                  Plants roots don't just go down and when the soil is wet any chemicals will leach sideways into the bed where the roots are, ;I agree with Rary, why would you want to eat chemicals in your food?
                  I get it thanks. I agree, no creosote

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
                    Wooden edged beds or open soil are both easy access for slugs/snails anyway
                    But far easier to manage with a barrier around higher up.

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post

But far easier to manage with a barrier around higher up.
                      Slugs & snails like to sleep against damp wood,it won’t act as a barrier but good luck.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X