Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

100L containers for spuds - how many seed potatoes?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100L containers for spuds - how many seed potatoes?

Hello everyone,

Not quite sure how, but I've managed to get hold of a few 100L containers - each with a decent amount of drainage holes.

Will these be OK for growing spuds in containers (I usually grow in 30L containers)?

For the 100L containers, I was toying with the idea of (next year) growing some Charlotte's in some of them and Sarpo Mira in the rest. How many seed potatoes would you recommend in a container of this size?

Thanks all,
    Marbles

what are the dimensions of the containers?
    length width height, volume is not helpful in this case.

Comment

If the containers are clear see through,they would make the potatoes green but talking about spacing,I try to plant the seed potatoes 30cm apart because of a study I read a while ago about spacing/highest yield. The potatoes must know when they have the space,they might feel crowded otherwise.

Comment

Thank you, Jungle Jane Yes, I tend to do 30 cm (12 inches in old money) when planting in the ground. I'm a bit tight for space now so I think growing spuds in containers is going to be my best option moving forward.

peacegarden2024 Here are the dimensions: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08D7VJW...t_details&th=1

Width: 69cm / Height: 58cm (Without Handle: Width: 60cm / Height: 53cm). Bottom: 44CM.

I was thinking perhaps 4 seed potatoes per container.

Comment

For the Charlottes I'd pop 4 in and depending on the size of the sarpo mira (I'm not familiar with those) I'd do 3 or 4.
          Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
          Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
          https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
          Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Thanks, peanut much appreciated.

Yes, can't go wrong with Charlottes - probably my favourite. For the Sarpo's, I'm only going with them as I encountered a fair amount of blight this year (what with the very damp, late summer). I've been told that Sarpo's are blight resistant and are very good for roasting, chipping and mashing
            Last edited by Marbles1974; 02-10-2023, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Nice find!
              Let us know how you get on.
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Sarpo Mira are large red skinned potatoes and if given plenty of room they can be huge. I grew them for a couple of years, but as there doesn't seem to be much of a blight problem at the allotment, I reverted to Desiree, which has better flavour in my opinion.
                A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by Marbles1974 View Post
                  Thank you, Jungle Jane Yes, I tend to do 30 cm (12 inches in old money).
                  You started off well by giving the inches, saved me having to go and find a rule, but after that you stayed with the metric and for some reason I can never picture depth or width of metric, but seeing the tubs you have to use I would go with three potatoes per pot.
                  it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X