Chinese cabbage still small

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese cabbage still small

I sowed Chinese cabbage on recommendation for a late summer harvest but they have grown very slow in the pots and haven't turned into cabbages as I was led to believe. I can't plant them out because they will get eaten and also killed by the imminent frosts so what can I do to get them to grow bigger as I don't have any more compost?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230930_105014.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	616.9 KB
ID:	2569316

Is this bok choy, Marb?

Comment

No, bok choi looks completely different with no red. This is Chinese cabbage.

Comment

The containers are far too small,do you have containers 12” deep & wide,can they go in the ground,go out at night pick the slugs off or put a beer trap about a foot away? We all have to deal with slugs,you can’t avoid planting in the ground,it’s your ground.

Comment

No point in the garden as we get no direct sun until Feb next year as North facing. No room either. I have the plot but not yet cleared all the weed roots (which is a nightmare) and the slugs will get them anyway as it's 5 miles away so can't just nip out of an evening and pick them off. Trying to sort out some raised beds with wood to then plant everything out with hopefully more control over pests and weeds.

Comment

Maybe pot a few into bigger pots now so they can grow a bit until their final planting positions ready?

Comment

Marb67 you need bigger pots. as for compost you will have buy some.

Comment

Honestly, I'd either plant them out at your allotment and take your chances with the slugs, or just eat them now as salad leaves.
                Chinese cabbage are very sensitive to drought, root restriction, competition from other plants, and basically any other stress, and will bolt quickly when stressed.

Comment

I planted them out as advised aaaaaaaand they have all been eaten by small grey slugs. I just give up.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X