No announcement yet.

Christmas potatoes foliage up and blight risk

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well my Alicante toms showed some signs of blight months ago so I snipped off infected leaves and I am still getting perfectly ripe, large fruits from them with no signs of any blight. So you can stop it if early enough. I am hoping the same for the spuds, and if I don't get a crop by Christmas they should grow again in Spring.

When you have the experience and ability of Sean James Cameron perhaps you too will be able to grow in a similar manner?
    I think I have been gardening long enough to have gained that to be fair.

Comment

Slugs have eaten the tops off then so that cures the blight problem. Hopefully if I overwinter in pollytunneel they should produce something for Christmas.

Comment

Well this is just so depressing. Everything I do just comes to nothing. The tops are gone , and the few left have signs of blight. is that it then for these seed potatoes or should I wait till next Spring to see if they pop up again ?

Comment

They probably won't come up again as they will have been exhausted from their initial growth.
          However, you also don't want them to come up again. That's how blight survives one year to the next. You should dig them out and destroy them (smashing them up and putting them on the compost should be sufficient. Just as long as they are definitely dead).

Comment

More money, time and effort wasted then. This is what I feared right at the start of this post. Why do I bother.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X