Anyone growing sweet corn ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peacegarden2024 View Post
    Vince G i don't want know anything except if other people are growing sweet corn.
    Fair enough, thought there was a question coming!
    Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

annie8 did part of diagram get cut off because the picture i see says the bed is
      20 cm width and 4 meters in length? seems bit crowded?
      Last edited by peacegarden2024; 02-07-2023, 09:30 AM.

Comment

C is courgette, cp is crown Prince and s is sweetcorn. The x are the onion squash. All are spaced as per the seed packets the only difference is that the crown Prince is planted in the middle of the sweetcorn.

Comment

thank for correcting the spacing in a pm the bed has 120 cm width. 4 meter length

Comment

I have around 52 sweetcorn plants put in a square and fenced off just in case any local badgers try their luck, they tend to leave them alone until the smell them ripe then they will flatten the plants like a bulldozer so they can help themselves to the cobs.
            The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

Yes I have a row in but it's the baby sweet corn variety so they don't need to be in a block as they are picked when finger size..I haven't grown these before. I have sown french beans next to each plant - kind of 2 sisters instead of 3 !!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                Yup - I am too.
                Not grown them for a few years as the wild boar like them and we didn’t want to encourage them into our potager.
                If you're really unlucky badgers absolutely love them, and know exactly when they're ripe, and eat them before you can pick them! We don't grow sweetcorn any more, unfortunately.

Edit: beaten to the punch by Muddyboots.
                Last edited by smallblueplanet; 05-07-2023, 03:48 PM.
                To see a world in a grain of sand
                And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

the local wildlife learned their lessons over many years. that I do not share
                  my garden produce. stealing or attacking crop gets them kill when comes
                  non mammals. the mammals get trapped and relocated. As for wild boar they
                  are to dangerous to handle personally but I know someone who has permit to
                  hunt and deal with them if they ever show their face in my garden. my fence is
                  designed to keep out small mammals except squirrels. the squirrels learn their
                  lesson after they try steal my hot peppers every year. the naga peppers have killed
                  several squirrels in last few years. grey squirrel were the ones that died not red ones.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X