Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black eggs on aubergine leaves

Hi everyone,
    I've got seven or eight aubergine plants in my greenhouse.
    They are a mix of pinstripe, long purple and Turkish orange.
    One of the pinstripes has a number of holes in the leaves. These can be up to one cm across.
    I also found a lot of small black eggs on the top of about four leaves.
    I picked off one of the affected leaves and the eggs just fell off. They didn't appear to be stuck on there.
    I brushed the eggs off the other leaves making sure they didn't fall onto the compost in the pot.
    Any idea what they might be?
    None of the other plants have been touched.
    Any help/advice gratefully received!

Can you see any tiny caterpillar looking things on the undersides of the leaves?

Comment

No, I had a good look and couldn't see anything under the leaves.
      I didn't check the surface of the compost though.

Comment

Did you see any little black jumping insects on the ground,flea beetles make little shot hole type holes?

Comment

Thanks for responding Jane.
          No - nothing jumping about.
          I've attached a couple of pictures. One shows the holes in the leaves. They look bigger than the holes that I think flea beetles make.
          The other picture shows the black eggs. They may be insects rather than eggs but they don't seem to move when I brush them off the plant.​​​​​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230629_141237561.jpg
Views:	1744
Size:	941.8 KB
ID:	2564623
          Attached Files

Comment

Are those black things soft like caterpillar poop? If not,there is a parasitoid wasp that lays eggs in pests,they’re a good insect,I wonder if that’s happening,it’s good to leave them if it’s that but it’s difficult to tell from the photo. Is the damage getting worse,like somethings eating more daily? The holes are too big for flea beetle you’re right.

Comment

Hi Jane,
              The black things were hard. They felt a bit like scales from something.
              The good news is though that I used a bug spray (Solabiol) on the plant a couple of days ago.and it seems to have worked.
              On the day after spraying there were only a very few "eggs".
              Since then, no more eggs and no new holes in the leaves.
              Thanks for all the advice but I think we've got a solution even though we never really identified the problem!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X