Eating pea plants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eating pea plants

Maybe seems a bizarre question but does anyone eat the pea plants / leaves from when peas are finished?

I was just thinking people eat pea shoots, would there be any goodness in the left over pea plant (maybe to add to stews) once cropping Thad finished?

if they have not dried out the pea plant is totally edible raw or
    cooked. as for the roots i am not sure.
    Last edited by peacegarden2024; 17-06-2023, 09:30 PM.

Comment

I had a bit of a gooogle and could only find a mention of ‘most of the plant is edible’
      It didn’t say which bit was and more importantly which bit isn't though ( nor why not)
      Of course…if in doubt - don’t.
      I know that the flowers can be eaten.
      This site suggests tendrils, young leaves and stems are edible whilst still tender…
      https://www.root5farm.com/a-z-vegeta...very%20quickly.

This suggests mature leaves can be sautéed or made into pesto…
      https://www.americastestkitchen.com/...ith-pea-greens

It’s something I’d not thought about tbh. Good question.
      Having said that, by the time the last of my pods are picked my plants tend to be covered in mildew.

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

The whole plant is edible in the broadest of senses (as in, it's not harmful to eat), but whether you would really want to eat the tired old plant at the end of cropping is another matter. It's probably pretty tough by then, and likely has mildew as said above.

Comment

I made pea pod soup but I wasn't very impressed with it.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Got a demijohn sat in the garage of peapod wine, that I made the summer me and Mrs G moved into this house....which was 2013, so goodness knows whether it is drinkable. Wine is meant to improve with age, but 10 years...and peapod wine? Only one way to find out I suppose. If you don't hear from me again.....
            Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Originally posted by Vince G View Post
              Got a demijohn sat in the garage of peapod wine, that I made the summer me and Mrs G moved into this house....which was 2013, so goodness knows whether it is drinkable. Wine is meant to improve with age, but 10 years...and peapod wine? Only one way to find out I suppose. If you don't hear from me again.....
              Home made wine doesn't keep I've tried many before, Apple and Raisin was ok, but without the right balance of minerals even some grape wines go off.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X