Just received Marshalls seed potatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tattieman View Post
    Leave the box open so that the potatoes can breath and not sweat.
    Start chitting about 6 weeks before you want to plant them.
    this is how I would handle it Sally - I have had seed spuds a little on the early side before and this works for me
    aka
    Suzie

Comment

tattieman, i'm considering ordering my seed spuds from your web site, when is the best time to order them?

Comment

Originally posted by kate&rob View Post
        tattieman, i'm considering ordering my seed spuds from your web site, when is the best time to order them?
        I can't conduct trade business on here. I don't want banned.
        I am more than happy to give free advice on here to anyone who asks.
        Potato videos here.

Comment

Tattieman, I notice from your website that you include Desiree among maincrop potatoes. Other people offer them as second earlies; is there much difference ?
          Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketron View Post
            Tattieman, I notice from your website that you include Desiree among maincrop potatoes. Other people offer them as second earlies; is there much difference ?
            Desiree is 100% maincrop
            I have seen some websites that say they are early maincrops which means they will probably mature in 125 days compared to late maincrops around 140 days.
            That would make them a week slower than the last of the second earlies.
            Hope that helps you.
            Potato videos here.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
              you don't want to happen is for them to chit in the dark. If you ...don't get the temperature right you could finish up with long white shoots!
              I agree with Snadger, and we've both successfully grown spuds for some years.
              I have my seed spuds in my spare fridge (dark and cold).
              If you leave spuds in dark and warm places (your cupboards) they will grow long, soft white shoots. Not good.

When you want to chit them (about mid-Feb for me) - bring them into the light, so you get healthy, short, green shoots. Keep them cool, as in a cold greenhouse or shed by a window.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by BrideXIII View Post
                Snadge, when you say light i assume you mean daylight? wont that make them go green
                Doesn't matter. You're not eating them, you're planting them.
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

If they are in a netting bag in the box, take them out of it.
                  If they do start to chit accidentally and you've not noticed, the shoots will get all tangled with the netting, and you'll end up snapping off loads of shoots to free them
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I'm a new veg grower and I also just ordered from Marshalls, I got the potato grow kit which was featured in the GYO mag. I asked when I might recieve them and they told me january. They said something about only sending out the potatoes when you the grower can put them straight into the ground. I tried to get mine early by saying they were a present but they said they could not send them out before then.

Comment

Keep them in the dark and frost free, check them regularly and if they start chitting then move them to a light frost free place. It can be difficult with some varieties to hold them back, my charlotte have all started chitting and they are in the dark at a temp between 0 and 5 deg and still deceided it was time to start shooting.

Ian

Comment

got my earlies sent through today
                        aka
                        Suzie

Comment

Got mine yesterday...quite annoyed as our garage is being demolished on monday so I have nowhere cold now to keep them!

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                            ....I have nowhere cold now to keep them!
                            fridge? ......
                            aka
                            Suzie

Comment

Piskie and Zazen, did you both order through Marshalls?
                              Do it! Life's too short

http://for-you-dad.blogspot.com/

Comment

OOPs sorry, also forgot to say thanks for all the advice you Guys.
                                Do it! Life's too short

http://for-you-dad.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X