No announcement yet.

How many potatoes?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So much depends on growing conditions and varieties, as to the yield that you get. I had a huge success this year with charlotte, one particular plant producing 35 med to large sized potatoes. I think it was 6.5lb in weight. However the majority usually produced about 6/8 potatoes. The Charlottes were grown in the ground but with a collar and earthed up in the callar, seemed to work a treat and will be enlarging the experiment this year. I use black builders buckets with the bottom cut out for the collar. The buckets only cost 87p each and will last indefinitely so other than initial outlay not a huge cost.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by gojiberry View Post
      So much depends on growing conditions and varieties, as to the yield that you get. I had a huge success this year with charlotte, one particular plant producing 35 med to large sized potatoes. I think it was 6.5lb in weight. However the majority usually produced about 6/8 potatoes. The Charlottes were grown in the ground but with a collar and earthed up in the callar, seemed to work a treat and will be enlarging the experiment this year. I use black builders buckets with the bottom cut out for the collar. The buckets only cost 87p each and will last indefinitely so other than initial outlay not a huge cost.

Ian

another use for my millions of flower buckets then!
      will make earthing up a lot easier in a small plot like mine, saving room in between for other stuff, like radishes and lettuce.
      Vive Le Revolution!!!
      'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
      Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Do you firm the earth that you 'earth up' with or just pile it on or in loose?

Also does anyone know of a step by step with piccies for growing in containers or using collars - I don't think i'm visualising what you do with them right.

Thanks,
        Red
        Last edited by crazy_red; 09-12-2008, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X