Bolted Radish

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolted Radish

I have never ever been able to grow radish successfully, despite following guidelines, because they always always bolt. Even when grown in cool, partly shaded side of the garden. Out of about 100 seeds I managed 4 harvestable roots. Again, I did everything advised here in the past and yet I can't even grow a seemingly simple veg that kids are told are easy. Yeah right!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230601_075930.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	2563334

looks like they are spaced to close together.
    what guidelines did you follow?
    since just saying you followed the guidelines is not helpful.
    Last edited by peacegarden2024; 01-06-2023, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Yeah, those are far too close together for such a tiny pot.
      Although the pot itself is the main problem. It's too small, it's made of wood (which wicks water away from the growing medium), and it looks to be filled with compost, which doesn't hold enough water for radishes.

I've never had any success growing radishes in containers, even fairly large ones. They need to be in soil in the ground, or at the very least in a very large container (at least three times that size), filled with soil, not compost.

Comment

I've never been able to grow radishes either. I had one last go this year, and they've gone straight from seedlings to bolting. They are in the ground and were watered well. They had their come-uppance though. I've eaten them as spring greens, and very tasty they were.
        Last edited by mothhawk; 01-06-2023, 12:57 PM.
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

spacing of radish should be at least 4in / 10 cm in all directions and at least 6 in/ 15cm deep.
          Last edited by peacegarden2024; 01-06-2023, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Can't say as I've ever had a problem with radish, in the ground or containers with compost and they've usually been a catch crop for me between slower growing crops. Just lucky I guess Marb so keep on trying!
            Last edited by Florence Fennel; 01-06-2023, 02:34 PM.
            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I've never managed to grow a single edible sized radish, unless you count mooli (winter radish). Nowadays I don't try, and for a bit of radish flavour I grow them as microgreens and eat the leaves and stems when they are small.
              A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I grew them a few years ago in a smallish pot,you can put it in the shade on hot days so they don’t bolt & keep the pot safe away from slugs on a garden table or chair at night,I don’t really like eating them tho so don’t grow them,plastic containers don’t draw moisture for themselves like wood & clay but putting the pot in the shade was the best thing for them….

Name:	B5C71961-9F54-4B31-8194-27E83782ECBF.jpeg
Views:	206
Size:	591.1 KB
ID:	2563356 ​​​​​​​

Comment

Mix 50/50 compost and soil, put it into a larger container than you have used, give it a good soak and leave it for about an hour, then sow the seeds, I wouldn't sprinkle the seeds over the surface I would sow them individually spacing them out about inch and half apart, cover with the mix and lightly press the surface followed by a light sprinkling of water, monitor the moisture of the soil after a couple of days, it can be measured by pressing a piece of newspaper onto the surface, pick a place where there is no seeds, if the paper picks up some moisture it's fine if it looks dry water, if the container can be placed into a shallow bed of water that is the best way to water, as the soil will draw up what it needs
                  Last edited by rary; 01-06-2023, 07:55 PM. Reason: Hands too big for keyboard
                  it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

I have seen radish grown very well by my late mother in law in a smaller container, just as crowded and in compost so needing a larger container is cobblers. That home made wooden container is deep enough. The reason I sowed so many is some of the seeds are old and all in various packets. I was just hedging my bets. I was also going to thin out as they grew, leaving just a few but I never got that far.

Comment

Bren In Pots …….might be worth letting them flower and seed now - I think Bren collects her seeds and pickles them?
                      Last edited by Nicos; 02-06-2023, 10:13 AM.
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Lots of helpful advice on here but Marb you’ve only replied to defend how you’ve grown them,you know they bolted,people are just trying to help nobody’s talking cobblers. They like an early morning sun but by midday they need shade,this should stop them bolting.

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
                          I have seen radish grown very well by my late mother in law in a smaller container, just as crowded and in compost so needing a larger container is cobblers. That home made wooden container is deep enough. The reason I sowed so many is some of the seeds are old and all in various packets. I was just hedging my bets. I was also going to thin out as they grew, leaving just a few but I never got that far.
                          Radishes need thinning at the seedling stage. You can't take small roots and leave larger ones to mature, as you might carrots or beetroot, as the competition pressure will have already made them bolt before they get to that point.

Comment

the best way to avoid crowding is to not thin at all.
                            since people always seem forget or do not have
                            enough time to thin. the solution is to sow at final
                            spacing. then replant where the seeds don't
                            germinate. this is commonsense way of doing it.
                            work smarter not harder.

Comment

Well, after years and years of trying to grow this seemingly easy root veg I have failed yet again with thin, wispy pathetic growth from brand new seeds.

I just give up!

Name:	IMG_20230916_103706_edit_1189325771121644.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	2568599

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...