Ants in the strawberry bed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ants in the strawberry bed

I built a strawberry bed this year, a simple 1x1m raised bed.

I went out yesterday and noticed lots of ants. I gave it a good watering and the compost basically collapsed from the tunnels dropping. I’ve gone out today and they are back.

is there anything I can put in the water which will get rid of them but not hurt the plants?

thanks,

I use crawling insect spray. I have found nothing else that will stop ants once they begin to kill the plants.
    Anti climb paint works for fruit trees but yours given up putting pests onto the plants and have begun to undermine the roots.
    They cover the leaves with soil if the plants stay alive.
    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

I have an ants nest under one of my strawberry beds.
      It seems it’s the slugs which eat into the fruit allowing access to the ants.
      I ‘ve found that lemon, cinnamon and mint does deter the ants but once they have an established nest then the only way I have found which kills them organically is to sprinkle polenta around the plants.
      I’ve left my ants nest and am ok with them nibbling what any slugs have started on…. After all, I check them daily when in fruit! Can’t blame them for trying to tuck in!

Nasturtiums and lupin are good plants to dot around near the strawberry bed - they are prone to aphids and the ants would probably ( I’m guessing here) prefer a juicy aphid full of protein?
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Oh - and water…lots of it…ants hate their nests being waterlogged!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Raised beds are more prone to ants, as they dry out near the edges, which ants prefer.
          AS said above, ants should do minimal damage to strawberries, but if you really want to get rid of them then I've found ant stopper granules very effective. It's basically granulated sugar treated with insecticide, and if you sprinkle a moderate amount on top of the nest the ants carry it inside and it kills the whole nest.
          I've found I have to use it to protect my brassica seedlings, as otherwise black ants chew through the stems (it's definitely ants; I've caught them in the act multiple times).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X