Planting out Courgettes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planting out Courgettes

I’m wondering how much risk there is to planting out courgette seedlings now? (Southern central UK)

I sowed some in pots over Easter and they have got a right move on over the past couple of weeks. I’m debating getting them into the raised beds already.

most guides do however say to wait another 213 weeks at earliest until risk of frost has passed (don’t think we will get any more down here)

Currently there is no sign of frost for southern England, with temperatures dropping slightly to around average for the time of year and then hovering around that past the middle of May. The weather looks generally unsettled which often means reasonably mild, and because the nights are more likely to be cloudy in this sort of weather the risk of a cold clear night is low. It is possible that the forecast might change, but I would think you should be ok to plant out as long as you have a contingency plan to cover the plants with fleece or similar if the forecast turns out to be wrong.

Disclaimer - weather forecasts beyond 5 days are unreliable at best and the picture can completely change very quickly.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Thanks Penellype, I will wait until Tuesday/We’d and as long as everything looks ok by then , make the leap.

Comment

Similar concern for my courgettes too…I’ll hang on until next weekend - thanks Pen!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I am putting my squashes out under cooking oil bottles with the bases cut out or dual wall cloches.
          Flying rats destroy most plants that are put out without cover at this time of year.
          Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

My courgettes will be a while most haven’t got their true leaves yet.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I haven't even sown mine!
              Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
              Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

I live in West of Scotland, and my courgettes are large enough to be going out I recon that there will be a couple out by the end of the week, but I monitor the forecast of the overnight temperatures, if the temperature is forecasted to go below 6c I will cover any plants that would be exposed with 30g fleece
                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Been caught by late frosts and chilly winds too often, even in tropical Suffolk. So I now don't sow until mid-April and pot them on on the windowsill before hardening them off to plant out end of May. There is nothing to gain from being in a hurry to plant them out too early. You might get fruit a week or two early if the weather is clement, or you might kill the plant if it isn't.
                  Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

I agree with you there Vince I'd also sooner have late fruits than none at all.
                    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Depends on your last frost date I guess and how much you want to risk it . Here in my part of Scotland it is mid May although weather this year has been colder than normal recently. So will be keeping mine inside for a bit longer. My windowsills are very full at the moment !

Comment

As I said I live in the west of Scotland, and this year though a sever winter, the weather has changed quite a bit, there has been less rain than normal and fewer cold nights, I have a full greenhouse so getting plants out into the garden frees up space, also if temperatures are going to go below 6°c I will cover the plants, the foliage on my potatoes is now too tall to earth up, so if a temperature drop is forecasted they will be covered with fleece, similar with chrysants, lettuce and cabbage will survive a cold snap, peas also but I have fleece on hand to cover them if necessary, courgettes once hardened off will be planted up, it is easier for me to extend my season at the start, rather than at the back end of the growing season.
                        ​​​
                        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

I made the decision to plant them out yesterday. I planted out 2 (which should be enough for family of 2 adults, 1 toddler and a baby). I also have another 2 seedlings that have sprouted in the past week, so should all go awry, then they will fill the gap, it will just mean no extras for preserving / giving away

Comment

I would recommend that you get some fleece to give protection from frost, the 30grm. fleece will last several years, the 18grm I find too thin, but if in doubt about the temperature you can always cover your plants with cardboard or newspaper, if your plants do get frosted shower them with cold water to wash off the frost then shade with newspaper to avoid them getting burnt by the sun. Remember if you do get fleece you can cover and leave in place

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X