Asparagus... Help!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asparagus... Help!!!

Hi you lovely knowledgeable people, I was wondering if I could ask for some advice.

I planted some asparagus crowns maybe 4-5 weeks ago and they seemed in good condition, they were hydrated and had little curly asparagus type shoots. I planted them as per a RHS tutorial with the roots over the sides of ridges, in trenches with manure/compost in a well drained part of my allotment. I have just been down and what were little green shoots are now dried, hollow and dead looking (see picture below). I am wondering is this dying back is normal? I wasn't expecting much to happen this year but equally I don't want to waste a large amount of space and time keeping it weed free hoping they will come back next year.

Any thoughts or advice is most appreciated...

Hi Nooby, I’m not an asparagus expert. I have three beds which are five years old and last year produced enough for two of us one or two large portions per week. I can’t understand why there are shoots on view. When I planted mine, they were underground and not visible. Did you cover them up or have I missed something?

Comment

If they're still alive them they'll grow new shoots within the next few weeks, a month at most.

In all probability it will grow back, and that one shoot died either because it got damaged when you planted it, or else it was just killed off by sun scorch (the fact that it grew like that in the first place is evidence that it sprouted in the dark, so the shoot wouldn't have been used to strong sunlight).

Comment

I’m no expert either and it’s many years since I grew asparagus.
        My first thought was had they ‘bolted’ in the bag …(sort of forced like with rhubarb) having been kept in a warm place with enough light for the crown to throw off a green leggy spear?
        Spears are frost sensitive so that’s probably what killed the spear ( not the plant) if you have had recent frost?
        It wouldn’t be a concern if that was the case as the plant will throw off others later on anyway.

I imagine yours are one year old crowns? …if so, you’ll not be harvesting spears anyway until it’s three years old as they need to produce a very decent root system first.
        I wouldn’t worry, just keep them weed free and I’m sure they’ll do well over the next 20 years.
        Last edited by Nicos; 18-04-2023, 08:58 PM.
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

If they were above ground that's frost damage and will put up new ones. Our early shoots suffered similar but had first feed tonight of the season now it's warm nights

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X