Onion confusion

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onion confusion

I've got myself into a pickle over onions (no pun intended)

I only like to grow onions from seeds. I have sown some on 15th March and then again on 7th April. Will these be ready for Aug/Oct harvesting?
    The seed packet did show sowing in Mar/Apr. But I keep getting mixed info online. The variety is hi-keeper and it's a short day onion (I'm in the south).
    when should I plant these out?

Also can anyone recommend a variety (not spring onions, full onions) I can sow in Aug/Sep that will be ready for Late spring/Early summer harvesting the following year?

Thank you

The packet shows they can be direct sowed in March/April,a lot of people start them off indoors earlier to have bigger seedlings at this time,there’s a lot of ways to do the same thing,it is confusing. Are yours indoors or in a greenhouse,if indoors they’ll need hardening off a bit before planting out or the night temperature could damage their leaves that aren’t hardy yet. There’s a guide from this forum in the link that shows Japanese varieties are early to harvest -

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/guides/growing-onions

Comment

I sow variety "Augusta" in late August, they are usually ready to harvest the next June.
      My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
      Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

the bigger the size of the seedling. when day length triggers bulbing the bigger the resulting onion.
        also onion should treat like leaf crops when comes to the nitrogen content of the feed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X