• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rary View Post
    Thanks Bren I will try that, if I remember 😏
    Rary I'll post a reminder on this thread
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Thanks Bren, I will remind you about the reminder 😁😁
      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by gardengrace View Post
        I found a few growing under the snow
        after it melted one year..
        Thanks for that info gardenGrace, I've found it on a few sites it sounds like a good hardy winter lettuce being able to withstand frosts.

Comment

Thanks, gardengrace. I'll add that to my seed buying list. I spotted it in a catalogue just yesterday and thought it sounded interesting. What temperatures do you get down to in your garden over winter?

Comment

Black Seeded Simpson is one of the varieties I have grown for early lettuce in the hotbed. Sown at the end of January they are ready to eat as thinnings by mid April and make quite big soft leaved lettuces.

I usually also grow a crispy mix containing things like little gem, red salad bowl and Saladin among others - these are usually ready about the same time.
            Last edited by Penellype; 08-02-2023, 04:01 PM.
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

On the 21st March I sown my summer lettuce. it had all germinated by the 24th.

Arctic king
              Riccia Rossa da taglio
              Frisee de Beauregard
              Valmaine
              Ricca Rossa
              Mazur
              Mizuna
              Lollo rossa
              Mustard
              Medclun mixed
              Red salad bowl
              Green salad bowl
              All year round

Comment

Bren, is that all your summer lettuce sown? Or do you do repeat sowings at regular intervals?

Comment

Snoop I've sown a 3 or 4 seeds of each variety then will sow some more in about a month keeping that up until its time to sow winter lettuce.

Comment

Thanks, Bren In Pots.

Comment

Rubinette
                      Lucinde

Five of each.

Comment

Me again...

Little Gem
                        Amaze
                        Marvel of Four Seasons
                        All Year Round

Seven of each.

Comment

I have planted on some Little Gem plants just passed the first transplant stage, first lot into the greenhouse bed, the second lot in the garden and covered with a sun tunnel but looking at the weather forecast of 1°c for tomorrow night I think I need to cover both with fleece
                          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

So far I've only sown Tom Thumb (my fav) and Ricca Rossa Da Taglio.
                            Should probably start a few more off.
                            Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                            Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                            https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                            Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

An update on the lettuce I planted up, the greenhouse ones are looking fresh enough but not moving very fast, the ones outside under the poly tunnel are both fresh and growing quicker, I think the cause of that it due to the greenhouse reaching higher temperatures, when the sun is out it can reach 34c even with all the windows open, hopefully they will pick up a bit, I was hoping to let the develop a heart but think I will be using them as cut and come plants

Comment

Rary I treat all my lettuce plants as cut and come again. It seems to work out well you only need pick a leaf or two from each plant.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X