Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interesting. I certainly I find I cry when chopping them and I don’t do that with shop bought.

Comment

With regard to tearing up when chopping onions I read somewhere (and it may have been on here) that if you stick your tongue out when peeling them that will absorb the majority of the problem odours. It definitely works for me!
      Oddly enough my big Kelsae onions are surprisingly bland but the zebrune shallots have a good flavour.

Comment

Is it possible to buy heat treated autumn sown onions? Been searching and all the heat treated ones seem to be mar/apr sowing. I am keen to grow red and brown onions again but avoid the bolting I had this year with the red ones.
        Last edited by annie8; 30-09-2023, 03:41 PM.

Comment

I grow Mammoth Red Onions from seed from Robinsons, I had 100 percent return this year with zero bolting, the weather was kind, but I find these the best red onions I have ever grown. I don't grow for show, so they get no special treatment, indeed if you look at my video on the subject, you can see they were grown a bit too close together, but were still of an excellent size for the kitchen and they keep very well to, last years lasted through to the end of March, when we had eaten them all.
          If you don't want to watch the greenhouse bit, at around 25 minutes in, there's a bit on the onions there. Just click on the link , there is commentary.
          End of July - YouTube

Comment

Thanks for posting the link Burnie - I watched from the start - very enjoyable and interesting

Comment

Originally posted by Andraste View Post
              Thanks for posting the link Burnie - I watched from the start - very enjoyable and interesting
              Glad you found it interesting, done just for a bit of fun really, I intend to do one next month on sowing the seeds and how I bring them on for planting out.
              Last edited by burnie; 09-10-2023, 04:15 PM.

Comment

I'll look forward to it Burnie - if you could post a link when it's ready that would be great

In the meantime I plan to find some time to watch your other videos too

Comment

Link to the 2024 thread.

Onions 2024 - The Grapevine (growfruitandveg.co.uk)
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X