Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked the first batch of persimmons. 9 fruits, 1.8kg, which seems to be just under half of the total

Comment

• Lambs lettuce and land cress, chard, and a couple of leeks. Oh found the last 2 tomatoes, one red one green.

Comment

• Lettuce and herbs today.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• A few small beetroot and a couple of winter radishes.
          A couple of small parsnips and some Jerusalem artichokes.
          Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

• Parsnips and herbs.

Comment

• Kale, and a beer radish

Comment

• I finished off harvesting the last of the tomatoes. They began to go orange and then just sat there.
                Also the last of the indoor cape gooseberries. The out door ones failed to ripen before the frost got them.
                Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

• Dug up the first yacon plant.

Has anyone here grown it before? What's the best way to overwinter it for growing again next year? When I dug the crown up to harvest the tubers, there were a fair number of shoots underground, so I just replanted the crown again, with a few of the thinner tubers still attached. Will it just regrow again in the spring, like a dahlia would?

Comment

• Ameno I’ve found this thread from last year hope it helps.

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...yacon-inka-red

Comment

• Originally posted by ameno View Post
                      Dug up the first yacon plant.

Has anyone here grown it before? What's the best way to overwinter it for growing again next year?
                      I overwinter yacon indoors in a cool room. The crowns are kept in pots with some compost that gets moistened every so often, inside a cardboard box to keep out light.
                      They will go on the indoor seedling table in March or so, and planted out after the last frost, by then it should be growing nicely.

​​​​​​Edit to say I know some people have overwintered them successfully outside in the ground covered with straw or mulch, but it's risky in a cold winter.
                      Last edited by MelanieSW; 28-11-2023, 09:33 AM.

Comment

• I might try a few of both, then. I mean, I usually have no trouble overwintering runner beans or dahlias in the ground where I am, and oca and even cape gooseberry roots usually overwinter in the ground no problem, too.
                        Although if we get another winter like last one there could be trouble.

Comment

• Wild Rocket and lambs lettuce for tonight’s salad.
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Mixed lettuce leaves and land cress for a lunchtime salad.

Comment

• Picked the rest of the persimmons. 16 fruits, 2.9kg.

Comment

• The very last of the chives until spring. Some parsley, which is still holding up well, Might bring those pots into the greenhouse to keep them going.

Both went into a fish risotto.
                                Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X