This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tastiest Tasting Toms 2022

Now that we're at the height of harvesting our tomatoes I thought it might be interesting to see which varieties are this years tastiest toms and which have turned out to be our most tasteless toms.
    I love trying new (to me) varieties and am a sucker for different shapes and colours, so hoping you might introduce me to some tasty new toms!.

Tastiest toms - Sweet Aperitif, Green Zebra, Sweet Baby
    Tasteless toms - Gartenperle and Yellow Pear
    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
    Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Tastiest toms - Black Cherry.

Tasteless toms - Indigo cherry drops

I agree with you about Garden Pearl (Gartenperle) I only grew them once.
    Last edited by Bren In Pots; 04-09-2022, 06:47 PM.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
      Tastiest toms - Black Cherry.

Tasteless toms - Indigo cherry drops

I agree with you about Garden Pearl (Gartenperle) I only grew them once.

I agree with you about Indigo cherry drops, I grew them last year, won't be doing that again!
      Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
      Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Great thread peanut - I've stickied it​​​

Tastiest
        Big Daddy (F1 beef)
        Buffalosun (F1 orange blight resistant beef) - also great colour and pattern when sliced
        Crimson Crush (F1 blight resistant salad)
        Brad's Atomic Grape (open pollinated, unusual colouring)
        Sungold (F1 very sweet orange cherry)

Less tasty
        Mountain Magic (F1 blight resistant salad)
        Principe Borghese (plum)
        Minibel (red cherry)

Edit - add smileys..
        Last edited by Mr Bones; 05-09-2022, 07:25 AM.
        Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Thanks Mr Bones I shall be adding your tastiest to my list of seeds to buy.

Comment

I grew garden pearl many years ago when I was a total tomato novice. Thought they were strangely quite tasty tbh….until I realised they were blighted

Nice thread btw
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Grew white cherry for the first time this year and really liked them. I’m not that keen on super sweet cherry toms so loved these. Go very well with black cherry and choc cherry.

Comment

For all of you that like Sungold, one to try next year is Santiam Sunrise. It's open pollenated so you can easily save the seed and is supposed to be as good as Sungold.
                ntg
                Never be afraid to try something new.
                Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
                  For all of you that like Sungold, one to try next year is Santiam Sunrise. It's open pollenated so you can easily save the seed and is supposed to be as good as Sungold.
                  We grew Santiam this year, not quite as sweet as Sungold and seemed prone to early blight. It's been an unusual year though so will try it again next year.
                  Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bones View Post

We grew Santiam this year, not quite as sweet as Sungold and seemed prone to early blight. It's been an unusual year though so will try it again next year.
                    now thats interesting, You're not far north of me here in Gods county of Warwickshire(North) and I never saw any sign of blight ... didnt see much sign of tomatoes either but thats another story

I'll bear in mind though MB

My list for next year so far looks like
                    • Gardeners delight
                    • Santiam Sunrise
                    • Brads atomic
                    • Cuore di Bue
                    • Tigerella
                    • Kenilworth
                    • Heinz 1350
                    • and a basket or two of Tumbler red
                    ntg
                    Never be afraid to try something new.
                    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                    ==================================================

Comment

I adore Sungold, which always tops my list. My 2nd favourite is Ferline - if you get them just right they are fabulous. They don't keep though and quickly start to rot.

Balconi red haven't been great tasting this year - I always grow them because they are small enough for the windowsill. I also grew Garden Pearl, most of which I have used for cooking so I haven't really tasted them much on their own.
                      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bones View Post
                        Great thread peanut - I've stickied it​​​

Tastiest
                        Big Daddy (F1 beef)
                        I grow Big Daddy every year. Love the colour, love the shape, love the taste.

Other tasty toms:
                        Rose de Berne
                        Rosado de Barbastro
                        Sungold

I grew Garden Pearl one year. More trouble than they were worth.
                        I've given up growing Gardener's Delight too. We much prefer Rose de Berne and it's very early to harvest (I picked my first one before the Sungold this year).

Comment

The chief taster’s top choice this year (and last) is Crimson
                          Tastiest
                          crimson crush and cocktail
                          average
                          red cherry
                          least tasty
                          Rotschappen and amateur

Comment

Tasty
                            Peacevine cherry - so many tomatoes,loads to give away,small like little sweets
                            Black cherry - one of my favourites
                            Black Icicle - large plum,not many seeds,good for sauce,tasty in any dish tho
                            Halm Gelbe - small plant sweet yellow tomatoes
                            Orange Banana - large plum not many fruit ripe yet,quite slow but tasty
                            Mountain Princess - Big bush variety,large fruits taste great
                            Cream Sausage - large & medium plum sized on the same plant,milder because of the colour but tasty
                            Purple Cherokee - big fruit,none ripe yet but my eyes think they look tasty

Grown all these before,except purple Cherokee,didn’t grow any tasteless ones

Comment

I’ve grown a variety this year, the best without a doubt is Orange Queen, thin skinned, juicy, large and full of flavour, gorgeous.

Second is Black Opal, a small cherry tomato, juicy, full of flavour, slightly sharp in flavour.

and old favourite Tigerella and Gardeners Delight.

(tried Elsa Craig, not very keen, lacked flavour and floury)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X