Runnerbean flowers falling again

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runnerbean flowers falling again

Perfectly healthy, well watered plants fed once a week and the flowers are falling before they pod. Absolutely no idea why but I am losing potential crops because of this. They are in a large container with added new compost.
    Attached Files

It is the heat and excess sunlight.
    I have some dwarf french beans that are doing the same. Ones in the shade of some self seeded red spinach are cropping much better than those in full sun.
    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

That's normal. It's too hot (although being in a container doesn't help; even one that size will dry out very quickly and can really only support about 3 or 4 plants healthily).
      I've been losing 80-90% of mine for weeks now, despite frequent watering.

Comment

I have had great crops in past years from that container with 6 plants so it must be the heat. Thanks anyway. If its not sparrows eating them earlier in the season it's heat. Unfortunately I don't have the space to grow them in the garden soil.

Comment

Since it's in a pot, you could try moving them to somewhere that's shaded for part of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
            Since it's in a pot, you could try moving them to somewhere that's shaded for part of the day.
            I can't, its too impractical as I haven't the luxury of space. They have to be where they are, and they like sun anyway, granted its unusually high temps.

Comment

Your plants look a lot better than mine Marb,mine have been struggling. My leaves look stressed & they’ve stopped climbing,they seem to be waiting. I picked two beans about a month ago,nothing since,there’s flowers now but I don’t know if they’ll turn into beans. I’m just watering to keep the plants alive until they manage to produce beans.

Comment

a lot of folks have had problems this Year with beans not setting ... I'm sure its the high temps that are the reason.

My tomatoes have been rubbish this year I'm sure thats the same ... so much so I think theyre coming out this weekend
                ntg
                Never be afraid to try something new.
                Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                ==================================================

Comment

Tomatoes have been better outside this year and are beginning to look like I might get some soon if I can keep the rats off.
                  I even got some ripe cape gooseberries on over wintered root stock.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2592.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	2550411 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2593.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	2550412

Comment

Originally posted by Plot70 View Post
                    Tomatoes have been better outside this year and are beginning to look like I might get some soon if I can keep the rats off.
                    Same here. I've got loads of tomatoes developing on my outdoor tomatoes, but the ones I've been trying to grow in my conservatory have been pretty hopeless - far smaller than they are meant to be and all with blossom end rot.

Comment

I have not seen any blossom end rot.
                      I also have four plants in a greenhouse and they are just producing less fruit.
                      The frustrating wait for the first ripe fruit in currently underway.

Comment

Ditto for me toms are better outside than in the greenhouse but the risk of blight is a gamble when the rains come tomorrow. That's why I have kept some in the greenhouse to be on the safe side, albeit smaller, less crops.

had a few beans here and there but its disheartening to see lots of red flowers on the floor when the plant is growing healthy and being kept watered to the right amount. That container has been great for beans in that position for years, with only a top dressing of fresh compost every year.

Comment

Cant believe it, loads of flowers on the floor this morning despite keeping them well watered and the flowers misted (helps them set) Its also cooler today so why even more lost 😩

Comment

Try growing moonlight runners next year,they’re self pollinating,mine have some flowers now,plants are finding it hard in this heat tho. Growth very slow here & aphids. Do birds peck at the aphids accidentally dropping the flowers? I’ve had birds peck at the dahlia flower once,found petals on the floor. Do you have a water dish for the birds (I put water & seeds out & they leave my plants alone,apart from a few strawberries but that’s the blackbirds & they nest nearby,probably because they know where the strawberries grow ).

Comment

Well it's been a few days of much lower temps and keeping them correctly hydrated and yet they are still falling off all the time. Gutted

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X