Too late for winter brassicas?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too late for winter brassicas?

I had a few trays of lovely looking psb, winter cabbages etc sat in my tunnel waiting for the beds to be free which would have been soon. Then it got hot so I put them outside on the grass. And then I forgot and went home. I’m sure you know what happened next!

Is it too late to respect these? I recall I may have sown Savoy cabbage quite last before and it didn’t crop very well. Might have been for other reasons tho.

Don't know where you are Simon but we've not sown ours yet.
    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

I don't sow my purple sprouting until about the first week of July, and it goes in early-mid August to replace the onions. I'd say you have plenty of time.
      Although admittedly here in the South West we have mild winters, so tough plants like these continue to grow slowly even over winter. In areas with colder winters you may well need to sow and plant earlier.

Comment

Well, this is absolutely splendid news for me. Really sorry for you, mind, SimpleSimon. But all mine got flattened in really heavy rain and hail the other day and most of them have not pinged back up. I was thinking of just planting them out very deep, but in some cases there's really no hope for them.

What about Brussels sprouts? Is it too late for them?

Comment

It's definitely too late to get sprouts for Christmas, but I think you should still get a crop in late winter or early spring from sowing now.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
            It's definitely too late to get sprouts for Christmas, but I think you should still get a crop in late winter or early spring from sowing now.
            Thanks, ameno. Will go ahead and resow. Anything's better than nothing.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X