Garlic success rates?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garlic success rates?

I have just worked out that I put 60 in and got 47 out, so c76%.

does anybody else have that data?

We had 12% white rot this year (put 100 in - easy to work out ). The 12 affected bulbs were still usable as lazy garlic so not a total loss
    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

I lost just over half to white rot. And some of the half that I did manage to crop seemed small as I think they had white rot but not quite set in fully. I had success last year just freezing some of the partially damaged bulbs and that worked pretty well.

Need a rethink for next year.

Comment

Am thinking I might harvest mine this weekend are dying back and seeing a bit of rust. Haven’t lost any but will see how big the actual bulbs are when I pull them up and whether the bulbs have split into individual cloves.

Comment

This year and last year have been difficult for me with garlic. We've had a very dry March and April when they still needed plenty of water, and then a very wet May when they needed to start drying off. Luckily I have very free draining soil at the allotment it has still impacted yields. I got virtually nothing last year and those I have lifted so fat are quite small but useable.
          Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

I’m lifting mine soon,if you leave them longer do they use day length to fatten the bulb? I wonder if I lift them too soon they’d miss their final growth spurt (I think I do this every year?) I’ll leave them a little bit,mine are softneck.

Comment

Lifted mine as were wilting and signs of rust. They were ok but on the small end which I would out down to the fairly mild winter and dryness.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X