Brassica Seedlings going downhill

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brassica Seedlings going downhill

Well, here I am again with seemingly healthy Calabrese and Rocket seedlings that are taking a downward turn for no obvious reason. Kept in the potting shed out of direct heat. They are wilting, tips going white and generally looking moribund. All new seeds bought this year in new seed sowing compost. They are NOT overwatered. Just when required.
    Attached Files

My brassicas looked a bit like that so I lost patience with them, gave them a good talking to and moved them outdoors. They perked up quickly.

Rocket I always plant outdoors in it's final position and just thin any extras to eat as babies.

Comment

Shrivelled, bleached leaves is usually a sign of sun scorch. If they had a spell of strong sunlight then that's probably it.

Comment

A potting shed would be too warm the last few days,not today,it’s a bit cooler today. They like the cool weather outside,I just had my seedlings on the patio table for weeks,pricked them out the other day into 16 pots,they’re outside under netting,here’s a photo I made earlier
        Click image for larger version

Name:	81A9FEE9-D397-407C-8754-36E3F8D0DC3C.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	2546272

Comment

I am rubbish at growing salad. Never seem to get my timing right. The rocket that I sowed early and planted outdoors is now bolting and just sowed some more direct. With my brassicas I planted them in individual pots and took out of the greenhouse which was too hot. They seem happier in the cold frame with less heat and direct sun. Just getting to a reasonable size to resist slugs etc then will plant out.

Comment

well they are going even more downhill despite them not being in direct sun or too hot. I have even snipped off the dead leaves hanging on but it doesn't look to end well. Story of my growing life.

Comment

Marb, I take a totally different approach: a few seeds in each cell of a module tray and then, when they've germinated, snip off the surplus. That way I don't have to worry about pricking out (too fiddly for my arthritic fingers) and they aren't competing for light, so they don't go leggy, or for root space, making planting them out easier. Altogether much simpler and more successful for me.

Also, at this time of year, I keep them outdoors, as I find they're quite hardy. Even my early sowings, when frost is still a regular occurrence, I only keep them indoors overnight but put them out as soon as possible to ensure they get full exposure to light.

Comment

Marb you could pot them on now,bury them up to the seed leaves,brassica like root disturbance with potting on,then leave them outside,they will be alright then,they’ll grow bigger,try not to get the leaves wet when in the sun,they get burnt.

Comment

I did pot them on, put outside and they are still shrivelling to nothing.Ditto for the rocket.
                  Last edited by Marb67; 27-05-2022, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Direct sun today that we have could be too intense for seedlings that haven’t hardened off yet,with sun like today they might need shade rather than the direct sun,I’d put the pots in the shade now. If you can feel the heat on your skin,imagine the young leaf trying to hold onto its moisture. It does help if you imagine you’re a plant if you’ve got a weak nettle or seaweed feed they like nitrogen,weak mixture tho as so young. It won’t hurt & it could help trigger them into growing massive leaves

Comment

I’d pot them on into individual pots, they still look reasonable healthy to me, water we, and keep not too warm, plant them outside in a couple of weeks. I always think brassicas do better out on the plot or garden

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X