Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anybody planted their courgettes out yet?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anybody planted their courgettes out yet?

I was just wondering if anybody had planted their courgettes out yet. If not, when do you all do it? As I seem to have a "few" extras and the nights aren't forecast to go below 8°C for the next ten days I was just deciding whether to be brave and let the odd one or two brave the weather and the slugs.

I had asked the same que on another feed. Am debating whether to put them out too. They are in their second size pots and quite happy, between the greenhouse and the cold frame, but would they really kick off their growing if I put them out this weekend? Overnight tem for next week mainly 9-11 with one night 6 and mine are in a raised bed in a pretty sheltered garden. They are I hope big enough that beyond the most appealing stage for slug damage. Don’t have any spares this year so bit risky.

Comment

Mine haven't even germinated yet!

The weather is going to be unusually warm next week so they should have time to get established if you plant them out now. It could still get colder towards the end of May, but I think frost is unlikely unless you are in a vulnerable area. You could cover them with fleece if it is forecast to be chilly.
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I have got some of my squashes out under a sheet of glass that I salvaged from an old double glazed unit. I have still got some blue slug pellets left.
        The glass will be removed once the plants get up to the glass.
        Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

I'm going to take the plunge. Daytime temperatures are really hot already (we hit 32 ºC in the shade yesterday), though they are due to drop a bit next week. But night-time temps are distinctly chilly at around 6 ºC where the courgettes are due to go. This is quite late for it to be so cold, but the plants really need to stretch their legs a bit. I'm due to sow a second round about now anyway. So, out they go, if not tomorrow then the day after.

Comment

It's a bit too windy for us just yet - we tend to catch it on our plot and have had whole plants blow away before now. Most of the wind breaks are already deployed so we'll hold off for a week or so.
            Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Leaving mine a while just now they're in the GH overnight but will soon be going in a coldframe.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Think I’ll make a call at the weekend. According to bbc the temp overnight til end of next week isn’t going below 9. In the meantime I will keep prepping them by putting in the cold frame.

Comment

Just went for it. Planted out courgettes, squash and crown Prince.

Comment

Mines in the cold frame I'm waiting until they're just a bit bigger before planting out.

Comment

I’ve put mine out, courgette, parry pans and crown Prince, still got more to go out, might be a mistake of course!

Comment

Hopefully not. Having planted mine out last weekend they are all relishing I think and growing well. Temp overnight hasn’t been lower than about 8.

Comment

I have put three of my courgettes out and given three away. Plenty in reserve for catastrophes.🙂

Comment

I'm planting out two today then covering them at night with a cloche.

Comment

I don't grow courgettes, but i didn't plant most of my squash out today, at the allotment through black plastic. The soil under the plastic was really warm (felt like it was probably about 30c).
                              I planted these varieties:

3 Tahiti Melon
                              3 Australian Butter
                              1 Oregon Farmstead
                              1 Marina di Chioggia
                              1 Plovdivska (a Bulgarian variety)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...