My kitten and my seedlings

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My kitten and my seedlings

Our new kitten has discovered the joys of windowsills just at the point where we have an array of tender seedlings laid out to get as much light as possible. He is absolutely fascinated with them and though content to just sniff at the tomatoes, this morning he decapitated (without eating) two chilli seedlings. :/

Google suggests squirting houseplants with lemon juice, since cats dislike the smell and taste, but I'm worried that might harm the seedlings. Would it? And does anyone have any other suggestions?

Kitten, or seedlings.
    No brainer. Find somewhere else for the seedlings.
    I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

You could get some cat grass or cat mint seeds to grow for him to eat,they like eating a bit. Put something around the seedlings so he can’t get to them like a barrier,even just made with card but show him what you’ve done so he knows where there’s space to sit. I have to put my cat on the windowsill next to my pots so he knows where his space is,then he remembers the next times. Also show him the plant,if he goes to eat it say “No” they eventually learn how you feel about things

Comment

A mate of mine had a cat that pushed a plant pot off a window sill into the toilet.
        It caused a plumbers bill
        Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Can you limit the seed trays to one or two rooms and keep their doors closed?

Many years ago one of my cats couldn’t work out why we weren’t happy for him to wee in his new potting compost litter trays.
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

It seems to be mostly curiosity, rather than an actual desire to eat stuff. Everything had been rearranged yesterday so it was apparently absolutely fascinating! And then once he got the idea that I didn't want him to touch the plants it became the most desirable thing possible.

The novelty seems to have worn off a bit today as while I was in there he was back to just looking and sniffing (and chewing the watering can). It might have helped that yesterday after I realised that "No!" and "Stop it!" were just encouraging him, I tried hissing...

Blocking off the room isn't an option, since there's no door and it's also the room with his litter tray. Best solution so far seems to be keeping the curtains shut while we're not in the room as that windowsill is dead to him with the curtains closed!

Fingers crossed for no more casualties...

Comment

Bedroom windowsills?

You could perhaps leave a spray gun which you would use for watering the trays at hand and give him a quick squirt to put him off?

Whatever you do needs to be kind and I’m sure he’ll quickly learn what’s not in his best interests.
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

He's probably got the same thing in mind as you, as he's seeking the heat and light on the windowsill. Also, if he sees you doing things with them, especially if you're moving your fingers around them, he's likely to think that there's a toy, prey or something for him to learn.

Personally, I wouldn't hiss or spray him. If he's a new arrival, you don't want him to learn to be afraid of you.

And maybe older plants might cope with a lemon juice shower, but I'm not sure tender seedlings will do so well being dowsed in something that's quite acidic.

I'd do what Jane suggests: make a space on the windowsill for him and some kind of barrier between that space and the plants.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Now that everything has been stationary for a little while they seem to have lost some of their allure. He has a good sniff every so often but there have been no more decapitations!

Also to the seedlings advantage is that he's not much interested in being in the room if we're not there, and I can distract him with an exciting toy if he looks tempted to have a munch.

Comment

Sounds like a lovely chum. Good luck and best wishes for a great growing year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X