X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr Bones
    replied
    That looks a good healthy plant Q. Don't know anything about pinching out etc. - we just leave ours to get on with it

Leave a comment:

• quanglewangle
    replied
    This is the bit that worries me because it exposes my lack of knowledge of plant physiology: which bits are stems and how many stems do need anyway? Which bits are just leaves? And worst of all, which bits will become flowers?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize_20220410_144256_6871.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	466.9 KB
ID:	2544068

Leave a comment:

• peanut
    replied
    Here are my black beauty aubergines, they're looking good to me! Wish I'd sown more now.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2425.jpg Views:	0 Size:	782.9 KB ID:	2542964 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2426.jpg Views:	0 Size:	757.2 KB ID:	2542965
    Last edited by peanut; 17-03-2022, 11:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• quanglewangle
    replied
    Mr Bones (previous post) looks good, greener than mine, and less leaf curl - caused by a run of 5°C nights.
    Moneymaker
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Compress_20220316_094745_5715.jpg Views:	0 Size:	546.7 KB ID:	2542917
    Last edited by quanglewangle; 16-03-2022, 09:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Bones
    replied
    Potted up the Black Beauty and Moneymaker. Early Long Purple are still not quite ready yet.

Name:	Aubs.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	547.3 KB
ID:	2542907

Leave a comment:

• peanut
    replied
    Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
    I don't think polycarbonate (the likely plastic) will block much light. Folks glaze greenhouses with it. And you will be adding so much light with your growlights I think the losses will be negligible.
    LED lights don't give off much heat but do give off some - make sure you don't cook your plants.
    That's great, thanks Q

Leave a comment:

• quanglewangle
    replied
    I don't think polycarbonate (the likely plastic) will block much light. Folks glaze greenhouses with it. And you will be adding so much light with your growlights I think the losses will be negligible.
    LED lights don't give off much heat but do give off some - make sure you don't cook your plants.

Leave a comment:

• peanut
    replied
    I've now got my first grow lights
    Do I need to remove my plastic bottle cloches (which have one or more holes in the tops) from my aubergines for the grow lights to work properly or will the light work just as well with them on? My house is rather draughty.
    Last edited by peanut; 06-03-2022, 12:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• peanut
    replied
    I pricked out my Aubergines a few days back and planted them deeply to counter their legginess, they're just getting their true leaves now and are looking good!

Leave a comment:

• Mr Bones
    replied
    You're way ahead of us.. but here's still time

Leave a comment:

• quanglewangle
    replied
    Originally posted by Babru View Post
    ... Taking absolutely ages! I'm interested to see that yours aren't that much further forward, quangle...
    Mine are about 2 or 3 weeks behind this year. Pic below was 11 March last year to compare. Several leaves by then.
    On plus side once they get to this stage they speed up quite a bit.

Name:	Compress_20220305_072304_4532.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	636.2 KB
ID:	2542305

Leave a comment:

• Babru
    replied
    I've been waiting for true leaves to form, so I can transplant them. Taking absolutely ages! I'm interested to see that yours aren't that much further forward, quangle. Very leggy too, so a good job I can plant them deep.

Leave a comment:

• quanglewangle
    replied
    In final 300mm pots now. First true leaves just forming.
    Variety moneymaker

Name:	Compress_20220304_123530_0116.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	2542280

Leave a comment:

• Lymmguineas
    replied
    Thanks Quanglewangle.
    I've got 4 Long Purple and 3 Jackpot growing.
    All currently about 2 to 3 inches tall.
    I'll let you know how I get on!

Leave a comment:

• quanglewangle
    replied
    Originally posted by Lymmguineas View Post
    How many hours a day do you leave it on for?
    Are there disadvantages (apart from the electricity bill) for leaving it on 24/7?
    Thanks.
    Short form: I have the lights on from about sunrise to sunset. Not to nearest minute - I reset the timer every week or two so allow for lengthening days. Really early in the year I give them an hour or two extra each morning, but generally on for natural day-length.

Longer response: TL;DR
    Like most plants aubergines are phototropic - grow better in more light (within limits)

But they are also photoperiodic - they need a period of light and a period of dark each day and in fact sustain damage under continuous light [1] (Not all plants are like this).

Also there are short-day plants, which flower with shortening day-length and long-day plants, which flower with lengthening days. (I think) aubergine is one of the later.

[1]Response of pepper and eggplant to continuous light in relation to leaf chlorosis and activities of antioxidative enzymes, Scientia Horticulturae
    Volume 70, Issue 4, August 1997, Pages 269-279
    https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-4238(97)00078-2
    Last edited by quanglewangle; 18-02-2022, 08:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse
  • rary
    Reply to Chitchat thread #24
    by rary
    Today, 12:41 PM
  • rary
    Reply to Heated mat for Tom's and chillies
    by rary
    I use a mix of six scoops of compost three scoops of sand/grit and two scoops of perlite,the quantity is unimportant as long as the ratio is the same, if for seeds I use this mix, if I am potting on I add some blood, fish and bone, along with a small quantity of chicken manure pellets
    ​ though...
    Today, 12:28 PM
  • Florence Fennel
    Reply to Chitchat thread #24
    by Florence Fennel
    Today, 12:02 PM

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X