ID:	2539565Click image for larger version

Name:	6CA41366-1538-4EA6-BF6A-FEF4C95B92E6.jpeg
Views:	204
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	2539566Click image for larger version

Name:	50E7B831-61BA-461E-91F0-DAD36BE128CA.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	2539567 We’re really luck here. A local shop that’s been running ax long as I can remember now has all the potatoes etc in. If you want 1 potato the you can buy 1. Peas and beans are in pints (and halves) a true gem.
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

What a great looking shop
    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Amazing, Nick.

Comment

My local garden centre does that as well. Same stockist as yours, too, by the looks of the potato labels. Seed potatoes are sold by weight, buy as many or as few as you like. Can't remember the exact price, but last year I think it was something like £2 a kilo.
        Mine only has a couple varieties of loose onion sets and only one variety each of pea and broad bean seeds, though, so not as much variety there.

Comment

when I first used them it was an older couple who ran it but they retired about 4 years ago and their son took it over ... Result! its an amazing little shop, I once said I was thinking of getting some fruit trees but didn't fancy sending off for them and he said "No problem, tell me the varieties you want and I'll speak to my supplier and see If I can get them" during the summer they sell bedding (nothing special just bread and butter stuff) and then bulbs for autumn followed by spring bulbs and roses, then christmas wreaths and throughout the year cut flowers. They're really good prices (I won't say cheap but they are good value for the quality).

The potatoes I think they use Jamiesons in Scotland and if you ask him nice he will give you the hessian sacks along with the instruction to wash it to ensure there is no contamination.

about 10 years ago they bought a bit of land and opened a small nursery only open 3 or 4 days a week which they still run (I suspect his Mum and Dad run that now along with their grand kids.

But they are well worth supporting to keep this sort of service.
          ntg

Comment

My local corn merchant has a similar set up I buy just 12 Charlottes they used to be sold per potato now it's by weight.
            I also buy fresh yeast, flour, dried peas, pinhead oatmeal and oats plus other gardens items.
            There's not many of this type of shop around so they do need supporting. We've already lost our greengrocer and butcher.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Does your place sell purple seed potatoes?
              No where near me does, sadly, and they're really expensive online.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
                Does your place sell purple seed potatoes?
                No where near me does, sadly, and they're really expensive online.
                I've no idea I'll not be going down again as I've got everything I need for this year. are you after a variety in particular or any?
                ntg

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post

I've no idea I'll not be going down again as I've got everything I need for this year. are you after a variety in particular or any?
                  No. I've just been searching my local shops for any purple variety.
                  Maybe this year they'll have them in my garden centre...

Comment

So lucky Nick, nothing like that here!
                    sigpic

Comment

Ref purple spuds,there was a thread on here,way back about them,peeps were all wanting to try,i got some from morrison's store,the last very few they had,they are really just a novalty,they look awful when mashed,and devils to fine in the ground,plus the regular varieties seem to do much better,just my thoughts.
                      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by lottie dolly View Post
                        Ref purple spuds,there was a thread on here,way back about them,peeps were all wanting to try,i got some from morrison's store,the last very few they had,they are really just a novalty,they look awful when mashed,and devils to fine in the ground,plus the regular varieties seem to do much better,just my thoughts.
                        I'm quite conservititve with my taste in tatties TBH. Having tried loads in the past I still like King Edwards for Roasties best of all but can't grow them round here for some reason - the soil just doesn't suit them. SO I tend to stick to 2 or 3 favourite varieties.
                        ntg

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post

No. I've just been searching my local shops for any purple variety.
                          Maybe this year they'll have them in my garden centre...
                          I bought my Charlotte seed potatoes yesterday had a look around but no purple ones. A few years ago SiL bought purple ones from either Wilko or one the Poundshops he gave me a couple so spares but I wasn't too keen on the taste , a bit to earthy for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post

I bought my Charlotte seed potatoes yesterday had a look around but no purple ones. A few years ago SiL bought purple ones from either Wilko or one the Poundshops he gave me a couple so spares but I wasn't too keen on the taste , a bit to earthy for me.
                            I grew some a couple years ago, from ones I just bought from Tesco (which they no longer sell) and I really liked them. I thought they tasted very nutty. Yield wasn't amazing, but it was half-decent.

Comment

Just been chatting to MrP about purple spuds he says they did make nice chips.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X