Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planted up one row of spuds yesterday - 10 Charlotte and 4 Sharpe's Express.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Taters.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	2542665
    Last edited by Mr Bones; 12-03-2022, 08:08 AM. Reason: Add photo
    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

I like your measuring stick MrB I might have to copy that idea it looks sturdier than the cane I use.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
        I like your measuring stick MrB I might have to copy that idea it looks sturdier than the cane I use.
        From the pictures posted on here of the Mr Bones patch i am surprised he doesn't use a laser theodolite.
        I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
          Aluminium scaffold pole marked with a felt pen - makes straight lines and spacing really easy
          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

I have Maris Bard and Charlotte, I never bother chitting my potatoes, I have covered a bed with black weed membrane to raise the soil temperature and buried a max/min thermometer to check how steady the temperature is
            ​​
            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Got he last of the spuds in yesterday - two rows of Kifli (blight resistant, early mains). They should be out in time to use the beds for a late crop of something else (probably coriander).
              Location ... Nottingham

Comment

All mine in tubs so far. 1 tub of vitabella and Maris bard, 1 Mary’s rose.The Mary’s rose look interesting as the chits are a rather fetching shade of pink. 3 down 3 tubs to go.

Comment

Planted my early (4 Home Guard) and second early (10 Jazzy) potatoes today.

Comment

I'm doing Charlotte, Maris Piper, Maris Peer, Pentland Javelin and pink fir apple. Nothing like home grown spuds

Comment

I managed to get hold of seed potatoes a couple of weeks ago!
                      Charlottes which are now chitting.
                      I also discovered a few of our Desiree let over from last year so I have those chitting too.
                      For at least 3 times over the past 12 years my spuds have been very badly blackened by frosts during the first week in June. The top growths grew back but I’m reluctant to plant mine out for at least another 6 weeks!

Maybe I could plant out a few and fleece them , then do a comparison.

Isn’t it exciting watching them chit!
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post

I check mine every day
                        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I planted my first earlies today - annabelle - the second earlies and main crop are still chitting

Comment

First leaves of our Charlotte potatoes just poking through.
                            Started chitting Jan 10th
                            Planted out Feb 10th
                            So 44 days from planting to showing, few days longer than usual.
                            I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                              I managed to get hold of seed potatoes a couple of weeks ago!
                              Charlottes which are now chitting.
                              I also discovered a few of our Desiree let over from last year so I have those chitting too.
                              For at least 3 times over the past 12 years my spuds have been very badly blackened by frosts during the first week in June. The top growths grew back but I’m reluctant to plant mine out for at least another 6 weeks!

Maybe I could plant out a few and fleece them , then do a comparison.

I have only once lost two rows of first earlies, a late hard frost at the end of May. It was two years ago. They were well earthed and fleeced as well, as I couldn't earth them any higher. The tops were totally blackened and I got a really poor crop eventually. The only complete survivors were three odd plants that I put plastic buckets over as I'd run out of fleece. Fortunately my second earlies that I'd planted later were all still underground.

I like to watch them chit too and at least now I have somewhere ready to plant them.

Comment

Watering the row before a predicted frost, in addition to fleece, can help. Wet soil conducts heat better than dry, allowing some of the stored heat from below to reach the surface.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X