This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seed Potatoes for 2022

Noticed in the garden centre yesterday that seed potatoes were being put out on the shelves.
    This year we'll be growing the usual Charlotte and Sarpo Kifli but might go for a few earlies in bags too.

We grow Charlotte because - they're a good all rounder, decent slug resistance, good taste and texture and will store (in our too dry garage) until late January.
    Sarpo Kifli because - slightly later than Charlotte, very good blight resistance, slug resistant, great new potato taste, good all rounder and store really well until the following spring.

Not sure what first earlies to go for yet - what are you growing..
    Location ... Nottingham

I'm growing Swift as an Early because I like the texture and taste and I can usually start picking them about 10 weeks after planting.

For a Second Early I'm growing Wilja for taste, texture and slug resistance. We are enjoying last years at the moment and they are just as good as when we picked them.

I don't bother with Maincrop as usually we get blight before I get a decent crop.

Comment

Charlotte, for all the reasons Mr Bones
      ​​​​​​gives. Just a few.
      Arrived as scheduled from the excellent Potato House a day or two ago. Expect to put out in a few weeks.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220112_081651.jpg Views:	0 Size:	755.2 KB ID:	2539529​​​​​​
      ​​​​Charlotte potatoes chiting
      Last edited by quanglewangle; 12-01-2022, 08:28 AM.
      I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
      ∃

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bones View Post
        Not sure what first earlies to go for yet - what are you growing..
        To answer the question: we can get our Charlotte in early enough to not bother about actual first earlies.
        I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
        ∃

Comment

I'm another one who will be buying Charlottes as usual when our Corn merchant has them.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up - I’m going near the shop today so I’ll check them out.
            Definitely Charlotte then I’ll see what else is available.
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I was a little surprised last year to find that I preferred Nicola to Charlotte, taste and texture they are just great, and I still have half a trug full.
              This year I have bought Nicola and Vivaldi from Wilkos. They are excellent quality. Both are second earlies but I tend to treat as first early too. I'll also stagger my sowings by a few weeks too.

I currently have them in the fridge, is this the best place or is it too cold (my fridge is very cold!)
              Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
              Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
              https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
              Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Pah…no spuds for me - and no idea when they are coming in
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I'm hoping to grow my usuals - Lady C, Charlotte and Desiree. I put Lady C from last year in the bottom of the fridge in November to stop them from sprouting too early, and if (as I suspect) I can't get any Lady C seed potatoes, I will grow them from my own tubers - this will be year 3 of doing that. This is far from ideal, so I am hoping to be able to get "proper" seed potatoes for the Charlotte and Desiree, both of which are usually easy to get in the garden centres, but I do have plenty of home grown ones if things get desperate.
                  A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I'll be growing Charlotte again for second earlies, for sure.
                    Probably Rooster again for maincrop, as it's the best roasting potato I can buy from the shops near me (Wilko sell net bags cheap). There are better varieties, but neither my local garden centre nor Wilko stock them, and ordering seed potatoes online is eye-wateringly expensive.
                    First earlies, I'm not sure. Last year was Swift, I think, which were disappointing. The year before was Home Guard, which didn't perform well, but they're meant to be good, so I might have just been unlucky with a bad batch of seed potatoes.

Luckily for me, my local garden centre sells loose seed potatoes. Can't remember the exact price, but it's cheap, something like £2 a kilo. They stock a good range of varieties, but sadly very few of the Which Best Buys I would like to be able to buy, so I have to make do with not-so-good but more popular varieties.
                    Last edited by ameno; 12-01-2022, 09:33 PM.

Comment

I am growing all new vars to me this year. Vitabella and Maris bard for new pots, also Foxton and Sarpo Axona. From Potato House but not arrived yet so unable to endorse.

Comment

Bought my Charlotte seed potatoes on Friday.
                        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet savory View Post
                          I am growing all new vars to me this year. Vitabella and Maris bard for new pots, also Foxton and Sarpo Axona. From Potato House but not arrived yet so unable to endorse.
                          Can't comment on the Maris bard, but I grew Vitabella a couple of years back. Absolutely gorgeous. They grew quite sizeable when left in the ground but still retained a lovely texture and flavour. Would grow again, definitely, but am cutting right back on potatoes.

Comment

I need to get mine this week then.
                            Sharpe's Express 1st earlies - nice, and the name makes me chuckle (I half expect to be attacked by Sean Bean as I plant these).
                            Charlottes, even though I never get a decent yield.
                            Desiree and Pink Fir (but I have saved enough to not need new)

Comment

We've bought Sharpe's Express to grow a few in bags in the greenhouse.
                              Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X