overwintering peppers??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pigletwillie
    ...With regard to habanero and rocoto, I only grow my own saved red and yellow long chillies and a very hot, fat bangladeshi chillie now. I have tried quite a few varieties but find, with the exception of a lemon flavoured variety, I cannot taste the difference (other than the heat) between them...
    I know what you mean, but I love the different shapes and colours of them too. And of course I feel I have to try as many as possible else I'm missing out on something!

OT ps did I tell you how good your roscoff onions were? Even though we put them in a bit late they did really well and tasted great, thanks.
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I agree with you David for all the same reasons, not worth the bother/expense to overwinter -except if you like one as a house plant. All the bugs with nowhere to live decended on them when we tried some in the conservatory once...really from a few well grown plants I get at least a years supply anyway.

Comment

speaking of bugs ... I have finally located the caterpillar that was eating my indoor chilli plants ... bright green thing, perfectly camouflaged.

Perfectly bird food now !
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Phew spicy caterpillar! there will be a bird with a hot bum in Suffolk then!

Comment

I'm keeping a pepper plant in the kitchen to overwinter because I thought I'd read somewhere on the site that they'd start up earlier in the new year.

It's no bother as it's just sitting there and looks quite well.
            My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
              Phew spicy caterpillar! there will be a bird with a hot bum in Suffolk then!
              Tee hee hee!

I have a small bell pepper over-wintering on my windowsill. It never made it to fruition due to the poxy English weather, so I brought it indoors. I plan to sow fresh, too, so will be able to compare directly next year! If nothing else I'm creating more oxygen for the planet!

Comment

my sweet peppers last year and this year were dismal - average of 1 pepper per plant - i'll put about 18 in the greenhouse, see if they survive the winter - they're potted up anyway so won't hurt - i'll sow fresh in the new year as well

also got jumbo peppers to try next year - and a couple of pointy peppers - not got ordinary sweet pepper seeds, other than the ones i saved for supermarket peppers - i got average of 1 pepper per plant from them, other people got 3 or 4 peppers per plant from plants i started and gave away
                http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

I think I've got this wrong every which way.

I had a pepper and a chili in the same (huge) pot. The chili has full size green/black fruit, just turning red. The peppers have set but are tiny and green. I left them outside too long and got cought by a frost. I have brought them into the conservatory (no greenhouse) and they look very sad with most of the leaves drooping - just a few at the bottom are OK. I will report back in a few weeks if anything happens, I was hoping for a glorious indoor pot plant to overwinter with steadily ripening fruit. I think I've got a dead pepper and chili!
                  Nell

Comment

So when shall i sow my chilli and pepper seeds? How early, she says fingers itching to plant something.
                    Tori

Comment

Ah Tori, we all get itchy growing fingers - bit early to grow chillies without extra light...
                      To see a world in a grain of sand
                      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

My Jallies were going great guns until last night when the heavy frost blackened them all! They were inside my unheated greenhouse where even my watering can full of water froze solid!

Temp must have been way, way down last night as its even blackened and killed a patch of nettles growing near by! Can't recall ever seeing nettle tops being killed by frost................!

I'll strip all the jallies off the plants at the weekend and cut them down a bit........never tried overwintering, but i'll give it a go!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Sowed my first batch of chillies on Jan 6th this year, a couple of them were still alive in the greenhouse last week but are probably dead now as it's been so cold. I do have a purple tiger on the window ledge (from the Jan 6th sowing) though which has been fruiting constantly since about June.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X