Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• potatoes ...

ayup grapes,

I'm going through the seeds and stuff for next year and got to thinking of spuds. We don't eat a lot so I on;y grow a few in pots (35ltr pots). I normally grow Winston and Charlotte (I tend to treat Charlotte as a main crop) so looking for your thoughts. THe varieties I'm thinking of adding to the list are

Either Anya or Pink Fir Apple thoughts on both of them ...
    Red Duke of York
    Maxine

I've never grown these I always used to grow Rocket and Picasso but a few years ago shanged to Winston and Charlotte in buckets ...

Ta in advance
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Nick i can't help with those of your 'want' list I've only ever tried 4 varieties of potatoes all in buckets or recycling boxes.

Rocket and didn't think much to them, after that Arran pilot and Pentland Javelin both of those were fine.
    Lastly I grew Charlottes they're my favourite and I've grown them for the last 6 years.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I used to grow red duke of york every year,they were good potatoes & nice colour but then I grew charlottes & prefer those now. Its worth giving these other varieties a chance so you can judge them,it’s nice having a variety & seeing which ones you prefer for your reasons. RDoY boiled with skins on are nice to look at,lovely colour potato compared to the normal brown potato

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
        ... Arran pilot and Pentland Javelin both of those were fine...
        Arran Pilot and Pentland Javelin my dad used to grow those I think and I remember them as good flavoured varieties but that might just be my memory playing tricks

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
        I used to grow red duke of york every year,they were good potatoes & nice colour but then I grew charlottes ...
        well that answers that one then
        ntg

Comment

Ifound that Pink Fir have a nuttier flavour than anya…but they can be more nobbly and if you usually peel your spuds then you’ll waste more . Brill as a young spud cooked straight from the ground though

Charlottes though are my favourite spuds both as salad and main crop.
          Last edited by Nicos; 25-09-2021, 09:23 PM.
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
            Ifound that Pink Fir have a nuttier flavour than anya…but they can be more nobbly and if you usually peel your spuds then you’ll waste more . Brill as a young spud cooked straight from the ground though

Charlottes though are my favourite spuds both as salad and main crop.
            cheers Nicos, I know our local shop does Pink Fir Apple so I might do a couple of buckets to try ... so its looking like PFA, WInston and Charlotte.
            ntg

Comment

Red Duke of York is a good all-rounder with a lovely flavour so I grow those as my first earlies every year. I've not tried pink fir apple but a gardening colleague of mine recommends those as having a good flavour too.

Comment

I love all the Ulster varieties, Prince, Sceptre and Chieftain. They're all great for all sorts but I love them as boiled and baked potatoes.
                Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Defo PFA for me. If you're not growing many PFA are ready about now, so you get "new potatoes" in Autumn. Skins can be a little thick, but they are easily removed once boiled.
                  Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

I have done a container of PFA for the last 2 years and we eat them during September. We enjoy them steamed with skin on.
                    Grew Foremost for the first time this year and they had a lovely new potato taste although not a huge yield. Same with Arran Pilot.
                    I prefer Nicola to Charlotte for taste personally.
                    I might give Red Duke of York a whirl next year and am also looking at Maris Bard as a first early to complete my 4 containers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet savory View Post
                      I have done a container of PFA for the last 2 years and we eat them during September. We enjoy them steamed with skin on.
                      Grew Foremost for the first time this year and they had a lovely new potato taste although not a huge yield. Same with Arran Pilot.
                      I prefer Nicola to Charlotte for taste personally.
                      I might give Red Duke of York a whirl next year and am also looking at Maris Bard as a first early to complete my 4 containers.
                      thanks SS, yes I know its a tricky one asking about flavour as its so personal. currently I'm only growing 8 pots but that can (and probably will) increase although Mrs G and I don't eat that many these days - maybe once a week or so, sometimes we don't eat any for weeks ... Chips from the chippy don't count

Foremost is one my dad used to grow (50 or 60 years ago and I remember it as a good taste - but the best of all were the ones he grew in pots for Christmas and new year, something I did for several years but they never tasted the same somehow
                      ntg

Comment

If you’re after the flavour and looking for early ones I’d recommend British Queen (potato variety) and Epicure (also known as Ayrshire potato able to bounce quickly back after being frosted).Nadine’s also good.

Just lifted some of my Picasso’s- amazing return for barren ground and some chicken 💩.

Desiree which is my maincrop of choice (absolutely fab) still in the ground.

I also have some other varieties distributed by our community group. PFA, Mary’s Rose (good one), Shetland Black, Highland Burgundy Red…
                        Last edited by coreopsis; 04-10-2021, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by coreopsis View Post
                          If you’re after the flavour and looking for early ones I’d recommend British Queen (potato variety) and Epicure (also known as Ayrshire potato able to bounce quickly back after being frosted).Nadine’s also good.

Just lifted some of my Picasso’s- amazing return for barren ground and some chicken 💩.

Desiree which is my maincrop of choice (absolutely fab) still in the ground.

I also have some other varieties distributed by our community group. PFA, Mary’s Rose (good one), Shetland Black, Highland Burgundy Red…
                          ld allotment I put picasso in to just to clear a bit of ground as thats all I could get ... 6 rows and I got 8 sacks ! and they were all huge - quickly became my favourite.

OK on the other recommendation, I'll take a look and see what they're like.
                          ntg

Comment

I grew Pink Fir Apple in bags this year, ( as well as Earlies & Maincrop), and was very pleased with the crop, lots of lovely clean potatoes, just got the last two bags today, just delicious steamed with some butter. Will definitely grow them again next year, 2 seed potatoes per bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Dorothyrouse View Post
                              I grew Pink Fir Apple in bags this year, ( as well as Earlies & Maincrop), and was very pleased with the crop, lots of lovely clean potatoes, just got the last two bags today, just delicious steamed with some butter. Will definitely grow them again next year, 2 seed potatoes per bag.
                              good to hear Dorothy. I must admit I don't think I have knowingly had steamed potatoes ... I guess I'm oldbasshioned boiled roast or mashed (and fried ) are my normal ways
                              ntg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X