Late producing squashes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late producing squashes

I planted Uchiki Kuri, Baby Boo and some green squash I forgot the name of earlier in the summer.

the Uchiki Kuri produce3 fruits quite quickly which are about ripe now, however the other two did nothing really. I left them in and noticed both had started producing fruits maybe 2 weeks ago, one on each has set by the looks of it, what’s the chances they will get to ripening stage before the frosts?

Where are you and when are your first frosts?
    Where I am in Somerset, my first frosts are usually no earlier than the beginning of November, and any squash fruit set by the end of August usually ripens in time, or at the very least is ripe enough that it will finish ripening off the vine.

Comment

After reading this maybe there is hope for my squashes. I thought they had done nothing apart from crawling very slowly across a plot, (normally they gallop along) but when I picked my way through the plants yesterday to get to the blackberries I spotted some smallish squashes hiding underneath. Not holding my breath but they'll get a temporary stay of execution.

Comment

I have got a late fruit that looks like it is setting on a winter squash plant that has almost ripe fruit on it.
        It put out a lush green shoot after a tomato plant growing in one edge of the bed went blight filling the vacated space.
        I will wait and see what it does. It is getting watered today.
        Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Last year I had one fruit which set a week or more into September, and which grew on a plant which I had already removed it's (then only) ripe fruit from, and it still almost ripened before the first frosts (and finished off indoors), so there's still hope, as long as you don't get too early a frost.

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me. I’m in Northern Buckinghamshire, I can’t say I’ve ever noticed a frost before November, so may be ok

Comment

A quick update, the Baby Boo has raced to what I’d say is the packet picture. Does this mean it’s ripe and ready for harvest? Given we want to put in a display should I leave for a couple more weeks?

Comment

The stalk should be dry and either brown or very dull green when the fruit is properly ripe. If the stem is still fleshy and a more vibrant green then it should be left.
                Personally, I would leave it until frosts are forecast. There is no harm is leaving ripe fruits on the plant, and it's best to give them as long as possible to properly ripen.

Comment

Here is a photo of showing two fruits where the right one is pretty well ripe and on the left one that is just about to start final ripening.
                  The stalk slowly begins to change to brown often in streaks as it sort of forms a kind of bark.
                  The middle of the stalk remains green as does the vine keeping the fruit fresh until the first frost.
                  If the vine does go yellow and start to shrivel harvest the fruit as there is no longer any advantage from keeping it on the vine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7186C.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	2533382
                  Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Great thank you. Although I’ve seen the stems like that I never really thought about it being an indicator, so thanks for the tip. On my Uchiki Kuri I usually wait until light lines start to appear on the fruit (runs off to check stems of the two UK I harvested yesterday)
                    Last edited by FromYorkshiretoBucks; 20-09-2021, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X