Advice on ripening peppers off plants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on ripening peppers off plants

One of the dogs has been busting into my veg patch these last couple of nights. He loves peppers... All my lovely plants have been pulled over and have had branches pulled off. So I have absolutely loads of very large peppers that are green but should be red.

There are only one or two vaguely changing colour and they've been chewed by the same dog. So not rescuable.

Any advice on ripening them off the plant? Leave a banana nearby? Just leave them somewhere warm/cool/bright/dark and they'll turn of their own accord? Just give them to the dogs as it's never going to work?

Thanks.

Last year when I picked all my green peppers at the end of October, I just laid them out in a single layer on trays, and within 2 weeks about 60% of them had ripened. I think room temperature but out of direct sun is best. Only the fully grown or nearly fully grown ones are worth ripening, though. Very immature ones will never ripen, so should just be used as green peppers.
    As long as they don't have damage already, they are unlikely to go bad, but if you leave them too long they will start shrivelling up. If you see any start going wrinkly, put those in the fridge straight away and use as soon as possible.

I wouldn't use a banana. Although the ethylene gas they give off can help to speed ripening, it also speeds fruit deterioration, so in general is best no used with any soft-ish fruit. Which Gardening did tests a couple years ago on how best to ripen tomatoes off the plant, and those with a banana ripened no quicker but did deteriorate noticeably faster. I would imagine peppers to be much the same.
    Last edited by ameno; 11-09-2021, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Thanks, Ameno. Really useful info. Some of them are whoppers, so I'm very disappointed. Sixty percent ripe would be a good result at the moment.

Comment

I didn’t know they ripened off the plant,I would of thought they’d deteriorate at room temperature rather than change colour,skins go softer,more rubbery consistency. You can still eat them green they’re just not as sweet but still good,try one in a salad or something & freeze some

Comment

Trouble is, JJ, I have long peppers specifically for green ones and these for red. They're not so nice green. But I take your point. I wasn't sure it would work either. Still, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Comment

I found this link….but watch out for all the adverts

https://www.pepperscale.com/how-to-r...-off-the-vine/
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

^Ooh my goodness. You need sunglasses to look at that page. Thanks for sharing, though. I'll try again later, now I'm forewarned and forearmed.

Comment

How’s it going Snoop? I wonder if any did ripen…my sweet peppers have been a nightmare this year,slugs I think,I haven’t done a slug hunt for ages,there’s probably massive ones,I just haven’t had time for the garden but I managed to get one small untouched pepper from all my plants so far

Comment

I would guess if they ripen, they would still have the flavour profile of a green pepper?

Comment

Originally posted by FromYorkshiretoBucks View Post
                    I would guess if they ripen, they would still have the flavour profile of a green pepper?
                    No, they taste just like a sweet pepper. Maybe a slightly lower sugar content, but no significant difference. Just like any other fruit which can be ripened off the plant, really.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X