Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purple sprouting broccoli.

Hi.
    I have purple sprouting broccoli ready to plant.. beyond ready as its got very leggy.
    I’m in Sussex and our weather has been terrible so little opportunity to plant out. Also very poor light levels have contributed to a leggy growth spurt.
    If I were to nip down the plant a bit would it be detrimental? Some leaves have been eaten a bit as well. There’s an emerging new leaf in the middle of most of the plants.
    Obviously I wouldn’t remove that.
    Help!!!

I would advise getting them in the ground asap. If it is dry where you are spend your time watering them, rather than fiddling with the leaves.

Comment

Brassicas don't recover well from being pot bound, so if yours are getting too big, you need to either plant them as soon as possible or repot them.
      The weather doesn't matter. This time of year they will grow no matter what happen (as long as they get water in any dry spells).

Also, young brassica plants in pots want to be outside this time of year. You should not keep any brassicas inside after about mid-June, as it is just too hot for them (not to mention the light problems you mentioned).

Comment

Plant them asap and plant deeply - brassicas will form roots from buried stems just like tomatoes do. You may need to stake them later, but I wouldn't nip out the top of the plant as that is where the biggest and best shoot appears.
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by bobbin View Post
          Hi.
          I have purple sprouting broccoli ready to plant.. beyond ready as its got very leggy.
          I’m in Sussex and our weather has been terrible so little opportunity to plant out. Also very poor light levels have contributed to a leggy growth spurt.
          If I were to nip down the plant a bit would it be detrimental? Some leaves have been eaten a bit as well. There’s an emerging new leaf in the middle of most of the plants.
          Obviously I wouldn’t remove that.
          Help!!!
          I am in the exact same position.
          I sowed in good time, but ground has only just become free to get them planted, they are root bound and have been decimated by caterpillars.
          I am still planting them and am sure they will produce, I messed up like this last year and they grew really well, only to be eaten by Muntjacs!
          I brought them in late last night and washed off all remaining bugs, they are now filling my sink and draining board so I have to get them in the ground today or my kitchen is out of action, again!

Good luck with yours!
          Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
          Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
          https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
          Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

I've only just planted mine out and they were in a pitiful state. Pot-bound, nibbled, terrible colour. But they've perked up already. Follow Penellype's advice and you will probably be OK.

Comment

I haven't even planted mine yet. The plants are still very small, and the ground isn't clear yet.
              I always put mine in after I clear my onions, and they always do fine. Although if you live further north you may need to plant earlier.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X