Best Onions Ever

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Onions Ever

This year I followed Charles Dowding and planted 3 onion sets together, spaced 10 to 12 inches apart. I also planted through black weed fabric using a 4 inch diameter hole for each planting of 3 sets.

Upon harvesting yesterday I was totally amazed. Nearly every onion is larger than a cricket ball, most much larger. The variety I used was Sturon.

The yield for the space was totally amazing.

I've no idea whether its the fabric stopping the weeds, companionship, soil warmer due to black plastic or just the weather. Either way I'll be doing the same next year.

Last edited by Jonnyt; 29-07-2021, 01:03 PM.

I still haven't harvested my maincrop onions yet but they are looking good. I grew Sturon as well but the Golden Bear are looking even better.
    My Japanese Autumn planted onion sets are harvested and drying well. I've had a great crop from these as well apart from the red version from which I believe about 75% of the plants bolted.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

It's been a good year for onions here too. We grow autumn started Japanese onions and the are just coming ready to pull now. Taken a long time but no bolts and very large.
      Last edited by quanglewangle; 29-07-2021, 02:33 PM. Reason: Typo
      I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

I don't grow from sets and my seed sown ones are doing well, still growing so I won't be harvesting yet, mine are Red and so far none have bolted.

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
          I don't grow from sets and my seed sown ones are doing well, still growing so I won't be harvesting yet, mine are Red and so far none have bolted.
          Did I not read a while back that you were growing Mammoth red onions? (Or did I imagine that?) If so.I grew these a few years ago and had a really good tasty crop!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Yes Snadger, they are Robinsons Mammoth, over the years I have had a fair few good results with their seeds, these are a bit too close together for monsters, but look quite good.

Comment

Jonnyt We also follow quite a few of Charles Dowdings methods. Our onions are grown in a bed of compost mulch which makes weeding almost non-existent (ideal because we have to net them from the allium miner).

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
              I grew Sturon as well but the Golden Bear are looking even better.
              We grew Golden Bear again too Snadger. The tops bent over a couple of weeks back so we pulled them last week before rain increased the chances of white rot. Had a fantastic harvest.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Golden-Bear.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	735.9 KB
ID:	2530363 ​​​​​​​
              Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Mine are looking nice and big and have ll flopped over. I'll probably lever them out on Sunday, then leave them for a while to dry before collecting them in.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X