Uchiki Kuri female flowers first

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uchiki Kuri female flowers first

I have a couple of Uchiki Kuri squash plants in the garden. Normally I get my male flowers first and then the females, howler first to flower this year (I think it will open tomorrow) is a female flower.

What are my options I have to try and avoid losing it due to lack of pollination?

ive not got any courgettes in this year so
    the only option I can think of is see if my neighbours have any growing and ask for a male flower to pollinate?

any other back up options?

Thanks
    Last edited by FromYorkshiretoBucks; 27-07-2021, 02:22 PM.

This has happened to me with Butternut squash, not really got an answer for it.

Comment

The first fruit often aborts once male flowers open and a better fruit sets.
      Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Thanks both so just let it do its thing, abort and then hopefully a another couple of females should appear

Comment

You need both to pollinate at exactly the same time so double the trouble if you want what I have got in post#3 in this thread.
          https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...d-flowers-2021
          Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

It should remain viable for 48 hours or so, so if it opens tomorrow you could still pollinate it the day after, if a male flower opens by then (male flowers remain viable only for one day).
            If not, just let it die. It should produce plenty more yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
              It should remain viable for 48 hours or so, so if it opens tomorrow you could still pollinate it the day after, if a male flower opens by then (male flowers remain viable only for one day).
              If not, just let it die. It should produce plenty more yet.
              Thanks for the info. It did flower today's as expected, however I've just noticed a few of the male flowers have come on in the last 24 hours, so with some luck, I may be able to pollinate myself tomorrow.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X