No announcement yet.

I've finally grown an actual aubergine.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've finally grown an actual aubergine.

Well happy with this. It's only took me 3 years. Grafted plants for the win. Looks like it's got plenty more on the way too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210718_124718_compress58.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	474.5 KB
ID:	2529522

Well done ....enjoy...

Comment

They look good!! You’ve done well

Comment

Congrats that’s a fine looking aubergine

Mine have flowers and I’m really hoping they ‘fruit’ this year.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Fantastic!
          I’m very impressed.
          Over several years before giving up on them , my best was no bigger than a golf ball
          Enjoy
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Looks fantastic. Happy eating!

Comment

Well done, but my question is Why?, minging tasting things..............................lol

Comment

Well done!

Once you get the first one on a bush then they keep coming. Watch your fingers when you come to harvest: there can be nasty prickles.
                I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
                ∃

Comment

Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
                  Well done!

Once you get the first one on a bush then they keep coming. Watch your fingers when you come to harvest: there can be nasty prickles.
                  Funny you should say that because the first year I grew them I was quite surprised to learn, quite a painful lesson, that aubergines have very stealthy weapons on the leaves.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                    Fantastic!
                    I’m very impressed.
                    Over several years before giving up on them , my best was no bigger than a golf ball
                    Enjoy
                    That had been my experience too. Last year my plants were super healthy and great to look at but didn't produce anything. I got grafted plants this year. Think they are Scorpio or summat and they are on a self watering thing (basically a DIY quadgrow). And I've pruned all the suckers etc and gone for a 2 main stems. Seems to be working so I'm happy.

My next goal is growing an actual melon. I've got some lovely plants 8ft tall. No melons that I can see! Same as last year and the year before that. Time to get that paintbrush out I think.

Comment

Originally posted by SimpleSimon View Post
                      My next goal is growing an actual melon. I've got some lovely plants 8ft tall. No melons that I can see! Same as last year and the year before that. Time to get that paintbrush out I think.
                      If you have them under cover then they'll definitely want hand-pollinating, yeah.
                      If you live in the south then you might even want to try them outdoors, as long as you grow a variety recommended for outdoor growing in this country.
                      I'm growing Emir this year, planted through black plastic outside at my very sunny allotment, and I already have 11 fruits growing well (between four plants), and two of them I'm fairly sure are only a week or two from ripening, and the plants themselves are growing rampant, smothering everything and trying to escape the bed.

Comment

I planted the remainder of a packet of seeds that were given to me and I have got my first flowers.
                        They are partly shaded by the leaves of rampant squashes. The bed is outside.
                        Last year they did nothing.
                        Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

looks great, what cultivar is it?

I'm growing Black Beauty since like March and its no where near the flowering stage yet. hopefully it will bare fruit

Comment

It's a Scorpio F1 grafted. Not sure what's it's grafted onto but the stalk below the graft is about twice as thick as the stalk above it so evidently quite a vigorous root stock.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X