Cucumber going downhill

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cucumber going downhill

Well, yet another plant that started life very healthy, and as soon it passes over the threshold of my garden (gift from a friend) it goes downhill after a couple of weeks. I have kept it in the greenhouse, not over or underwatered but its just all limp and pathetic.

Attached Files

Cucumbers wilt in hot sun. I grow them in my friend's greenhouse and hang a piece of fleece across the sunny side to give the cucumbers some shade and they are much happier like that than in the sun.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

The tip is dead. You can see the stem is blackened where it is folded over. Everything above that will not survive. Not sure what caused the stem to die like that, but it may well be the heat, or else just physical damage.
      The stump may grow back, if you can keep it watered. I would take it out of the greenhouse, though. I imagine it's far too hot in there for it.

Comment

I have cut off the tip but the remaining leaf is now going the same way

Comment

Looks like its past it to me im afraid. You could try getting another one going - One of mine isn't miles behind that
          "Bulb: potential flower buried in Autumn, never to be seen again."
          - Henry Beard

Comment

Mine weren’t good either, was about to throw them, instead threw them in with some peas! Look like they’re recovering, now they can climb etc

Comment

As usual, mine has withered and died.

Comment

The "too warm" theory doesn't square with my experience here.

My cucumber is in a greenhouse where the daytime air temperature usually runs around 25° and often gets up over 35°C (measured with properly shaded recording temperature sensor) with no protection from the sun. The plant looks a bit manky with some rot on lower leaf stems, but is growing vigorously and currently yielding a fruit every three days.

It sucks up moisture from the soil at a tremendous rate - I need to water it twice a day to stop the bed drying out. Perhaps that high rate of transpiration may be saving it.

Is a greenhouse, all female variety: Baby F1
                I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
                  The "too warm" theory doesn't square with my experience here.

My cucumber is in a greenhouse where the daytime air temperature usually runs around 25° and often gets up over 35°C (measured with properly shaded recording temperature sensor) with no protection from the sun. The plant looks a bit manky with some rot on lower leaf stems, but is growing vigorously and currently yielding a fruit every three days.

It sucks up moisture from the soil at a tremendous rate - I need to water it twice a day to stop the bed drying out. Perhaps that high rate of transpiration may be saving it.

Is a greenhouse, all female variety: Baby F1
                  There's a difference between what a mature plant can take and what a seedling can take.
                  Also, dry heat is much more damaging than wet heat, especially if the plant was previously growing somewhere reasonably humid then suddenly moved somewhere hot with much lower humidity.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post

There's a difference between what a mature plant can take and what a seedling can take.
                    Fair enough
                    [edit] Meant fair point - pesky predictive text
                    Last edited by quanglewangle; 19-06-2021, 10:10 AM.
                    I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X