Eggplants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eggplants

I was given some seeds last season and got one weedy plant in the greenhouse that got run down by tomatos.
    I planted the remainder of the seeds this year and they are doing better and have revealed that they have spines like wild brambles.
    The out door ones have most spines.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6842.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	2527252
    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Some aubergine varieties do indeed have very vicious thorns. I believe it's a natural trait of the species, but has been bred out of a good many of the cultivated varieties.

Comment

Gosh, Plot70, that's a really spiny one. Never seen one that thorny. What variety is it?

Comment

That does look thorny just nipped out to check mine and they only have a few on the stem and newer leaves.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Ours have spiny bracts. Need gloves to harvest. One in pic has about a week to go
          Variety Moneymaker.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG1623575805878.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	636.9 KB
ID:	2527282
          I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
            Gosh, Plot70, that's a really spiny one. Never seen one that thorny. What variety is it?
            I will check and see if the packet has survived the slugs.

Comment

I have looked and the packet did indeed survived the slugs that ate a squash seed packet.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF6846.JPG Views:	0 Size:	228.1 KB ID:	2527313
              Last edited by Plot70; 14-06-2021, 01:43 AM.

Comment

They are spiky! you could grow an aubergine hedge...

If it's kept it's spikes that would imply a less cultivated version? perhaps more robust? I'm interested as I have grown aubergine plants a few times, but never got them to fruit, so an easier version is good.

...or maybe they were bred by middle-eastern gardeners to make presents for people they didn't like...
                Last edited by bikermike; 14-06-2021, 12:45 PM. Reason: spelling fail...

Comment

I only got poor germination last year in an unheated greenhouse but this year I did them indoors and moved them to the greenhouse and put some outside under clear fat bottles in the edge of a squash bed. The ones in the greenhouse are much smaller as are the tomatoes.
                  It is better outside now the clod weather has finally gone.
                  I am now waiting to see if I get any fruits.

Comment

I grow Long Purple, bought as plug plants. No idea if they're two or not. But mine are nowhere near as spiky as yours. When I pick them, I have to be careful of the spikes around the top of the fruit, but that's all. There are sometimes a few little spikes on the leaves, but in fact they're soft to the touch.

Looks like you might need gauntlets to pick those, Plot70.
                    Last edited by Snoop Puss; 14-06-2021, 03:26 PM.

Comment

I'm growing 3 Aubergines variety called Viserba 3 they're long fruits similar to yours Plot I've got 2 in the GH and one outdoors. Only the GH one has flower buds but all 3 have spines in the stem and on new leaves.
                      I gave up a few years ago with Aubergines because I only ever had flowers so this time I'm really hopping to get fruits.
                      Last edited by Bren In Pots; 14-06-2021, 06:26 PM.
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

They need light. Lots of it.

We'll harvest our first one in a few days. The greenhouse only has space heating on nights when a frost is expected but there is under-pot heating keeping compost generally above 10 - 15°C

We do have LED PAR 38 reflector lights - one to a pot.
                        ​​​​​​They are only 15W each and back off in full sun so don't break the bank.
                        [edit]
                        Here is a pic.There are four or five nearly ready aubergines on this plant (Mrs quanglewange complains if they are too small). You can also see the light - pretty close in. I don't think a plant that grows beside roads in the tropics is going to get distressed by too much light. The sand tray is kept moist/wet and is heated with a 120W and supports three pots. It's only on a few hours a day at present - you can just see the temperature sensor wire coming out of the pot: cuts out at 20°C. The sand tray Click image for larger version  Name:	aubergines.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.21 MB ID:	2527397 will be a mass of roots at the end of the season; escaped through pot drainage holes.
                        Fed double dose tomorite once a week.
                        Last edited by quanglewangle; 14-06-2021, 08:45 PM.
                        I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X