Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
    Thanks, guys.

I'm growing Earlibird for the first time and was hoping to grow in a block of three rows. The packet says 50 cm spacing, which I can't quite manage for three rows. Looks like I can afford to go a bit closer. Brilliant.
    I am also growing Earlibird and have just planted out what I thought were 24 plants, but were actually 21 as I hadn't realised I had used a 12 tray and a 9 tray. All 21 are planted fairly close together in a single pallet collar as I didn't want to devote any more space to sweetcorn
    I sowed one kernal to each module and had 100% germination which I was pleased with. The plants are about 100mm high and have been sat outside for a week in a sheltered area hardening off.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
      Thanks, guys.

I'm growing Earlibird for the first time and was hoping to grow in a block of three rows. The packet says 50 cm spacing, which I can't quite manage for three rows. Looks like I can afford to go a bit closer. Brilliant.
      You can go to about 20cm and still get one good cob per plant (as long as you have decent soil, anyway). But if you want two cobs per plant, you do need a wider spacing.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post

You can go to about 20cm and still get one good cob per plant...
        Ah, that explains a lot.
        I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

I'm looking at about 40 cm spacing each way.

Sorry, Snadger, I have no idea how big a pallet collar is.

I'm going to grow two blocks of 3 x 5 plants, one sown in a week or so's time and planted directly behind the first block as far as the usual wind direction is concerned in the hope that any pollen blown forwards catches the last silks still to be pollinated in the first block.

This might seem late, but the first batch of another variety had a very poor germination rate (probably because it was old seed). I've successfully grown Lark sown on 23 June and it was ready to harvest well before the first frost. Earlibird is supposedly a bit quicker than Lark, so am hoping it'll be OK. Never grown it before. Was very sorry not to find Lark anywhere for sale other than UK. Bonkers seeing as the seeds probably originate from Holland.

Comment

I sowed 40 and have 14 out in the plot. And one of them looks a bit icky. I had 50% germinate (in pots in the greenhouse in April), then some turned brown and died.

I had almost 100% germination with the same seed last year, maybe the seed is that bit older, maybe the cold weather.

Comment

I wonder if it is the age of the seeds as I too had 100% germination last year and only 70% this year with the remains of the packet?
              All planted out now and probably duly noted by Mr Brock.

Comment

Never had a problem germinating or growing sweetcorn until this year. Pretty sure it isn’t the age of the seeds. Am wondering if it is something about the growing conditions this year. My 5 surviving plants are doing a bit better in the beds but still very small and puny.

Comment

Originally posted by annie8 View Post
                  ... Am wondering if it is something about the growing conditions this year... .
                  Lots of things have been difficult this year.
                  ​​​​​​
                  I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Another 2 plus weeks now passed since 2nd re-sow attempt. Still bare ground
                    few hundred more seeds sown. What's last date for third attempt. I do know the seed is viable planted 5 in plant pots all germinated and started grow around day 7.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X