Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Onion seedlings - worth planting or not?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onion seedlings - worth planting or not?

I'm making progress on the plot and could actually get some onion seedlings in the ground next week. They're still on sale here. But it would be a bit of an effort to sort out the bed. And it is getting late... They'd be in the ground Thursday or Friday next week if I were to do this.

So what do you reckon? Worth a punt or not?

No idea.....but maybe leeks instead?
    Can you buy pencil sized leeks for planting out?
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

If it's too late for them to grow to full size, they could still be used as salad onions if they're cheap enough.
      Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I'm growing quite a few leeks from seed myself, but I suppose I could grow more and use those instead of onions. Would have the advantage of being able to leave them in the ground rather than having to store them. That's actually a good thought. Maybe I could start more, or is it too late for that?

And yes, that's an option, Mark. But I'd rather have onions for winter use.

Comment

My seed grown ones are not that big yet, not sure how your weather would effect the growth, but I would give it a bash if they are not expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
            My seed grown ones are not that big yet, not sure how your weather would effect the growth, but I would give it a bash if they are not expensive.
            Thanks. Not expensive. They come in bunches of supposedly a hundred but usually 150+ for five euros or thereabouts. I haven't grown onions for a bit and really miss them. They're one thing we get right, somehow.

Comment

I'd give it a shot Snoop, it's all part of the fun
              Location ... Nottingham

Comment

It depends how big the seedlings are.
                I planted my sets around this time two years ago and I still got decent medium-sized onions by august, so if the seedlings are already a good size then you should still get a half decent crop. Even if they're a bit small, they should still reach at least pickling onion size.

Comment

Right, I'm going to give it a go. I usually plant about four weeks earlier and get very sizeable jobs. To be honest, a bit smaller than that wouldn't go amiss!

ameno, is it daylight hours thing or does temperature help? Here it is likely to bright and hot right through to late September, but obviously the days will be shorter.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                    Right, I'm going to give it a go. I usually plant about four weeks earlier and get very sizeable jobs. To be honest, a bit smaller than that wouldn't go amiss!

ameno, is it daylight hours thing or does temperature help? Here it is likely to bright and hot right through to late September, but obviously the days will be shorter.
                    Daylight hours. Basically, they will only grow leaves and roots at any significant rate until days hit a certain length, then they switch to focusing on bulb growth, so if you plant too late then the plant never gets very big before it's bulb-growing time, and so the bulb never gets very big, either, as it doesn't have much leaf and root to fuel it.

Comment

^Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. Even so, I'll give it a go.

Thanks, everyone.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X