Peas rotted again

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peas rotted again

Well, here I go again not being able to get peas germinating. I sowed them in a plastic gutter in the greenhouse in slightly moist compost. checking the compost after a few days and it was very dry so watered carefully. Suffice to say, even after some sunny warm days (in the greenhouse) all peas have failed to sprout and squish when slight pressure is applied with fingers. Same old story. For the life of me I just can't get peas to germinate anymore. Didn't over water, plenty of arm sunlight and still ailed.
    Last edited by Marb67; 14-05-2021, 11:06 AM.

Try soaking them for 24h/until a root pokes out in a glass jar of water. worked for me!
    Last edited by .commander; 14-05-2021, 12:21 PM.

Comment

I also tried that last year and they rotted too.

Comment

Bad peas. If the germination rate was this bad then bad seed is the only likely explanation.
        I've had similar situations before, where entire packets quickly go bad rather than germination. Beans, too. I suspect certain companies do not dry the seeds properly before packeting them, and those glossy paper packets are not very breathable, so would retain any moisture left in the seeds and allow bacteria to proliferate.

Comment

They probably started to germinate then dried out and died when the compost got very dry.
          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
          Endless wonder.

Comment

It could also be that they were too warm. I managed to rot off all the first sowing of beans by keeping them too warm and damp.
            Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
              It could also be that they were too warm. I managed to rot off all the first sowing of beans by keeping them too warm and damp.
              That seems very unlikely, unless "too warm" consisted of soil temperatures of above about 36c. Normally extra warmth only speeds up germination, and beans like it pretty warm.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
                They probably started to germinate then dried out and died when the compost got very dry.
                No, they didn't germinate at all

Comment

I used to have the same problem, now I always put damp kitchen paper inside a plastic container with a lid, put the pea seeds between the kitchen paper ,put the lid on ,put the container in a cupboard and they will all sprout in a couple of days, then just plant them where you want them

Comment

I take it they were from a seed packet and not stored peas from last year?

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post

No, they didn't germinate at all
                      I don't mean germinate as in seeing a green shoot, but that first tiny little movement of the root out of the seed. if that dries out, it's no hope.
                      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                      Endless wonder.

Comment

My first lot of peas, refused to germinate (about 6 did), second lot from same packet, soaked on kitchen towel covered with plastic bag, in kitchen, everyone sprouted and all now growing in module! Very strange!

Comment

i've had trouble with peas this year too. 20 foot row of Blauwschokker are about 9 inches tall now. 20 foot row of Rondo, about 8 have come up! So have replanted them all up one end of the row and sown the remains of a packet of Douce Provence instead. We shall see what happens!
                          Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

I finally got my peas to germinate BUT something is happening to all my lovely pea seedlings. They are going thin and wispy and flopping over. They are in the potting shed, no slugs or snails and pesticides. Absolutely gutted as they came up really well at last.

For the life of me I just can't grow peas. it is written
                            Attached Files

Comment

I have had terrible luck with peas this year too, Marb.

That said, peas are cool weather plants, I believe. Might it be a bit warm for them in your potting shed? Possibly not quite enough light for them? Also, it's not easy to tell from the photos, but how big are the cells? Might they need potting on?
                              Last edited by Snoop Puss; 08-07-2021, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X