What size pot for tomatoes and chillies

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size pot for tomatoes and chillies

Hi all, I have never grown veg before and have been nurturing my chilli and tomato plants in my conservatory and potting them on every now and again but what size pot should I finally put them in? Some of them are romping away and are about a foot high and a couple of flowers are on the chillies but these are still in fairly small pots so they def have to be reported but no idea of size? If it makes a difference they are indeterminate ones. Gardener said delight and the amateur for the tomatoes and cayenne and Hungarian black for chillies .
    Last edited by Rose willow; 11-05-2021, 07:00 PM.

A bit of reading for you, good luck. Grow your own tomatoes in a pot / RHS Gardening

Comment

Originally posted by Rose willow View Post
      Some of them are romping away and are about a foot high and a couple of flowers are on the chillies but these are still in fairly small pots so they def have to be reported .
      Who are you reporting it to? Sorry I couldn’t resist it! My sweet peppers are beginning to flower,still in 3” pots,they go out to their final container 12” around the last week of May when the temps overnight are ok for outside living

Comment

I use 10 litre pots or the ground for all my chillis. I'd maybe consider a 15litre pot for some of the baccatums that sprawl all over the place. But not bigger than this. I've had success with some of the superhots in very small pots (3-5litre). Think the stress made them fruit a bit earlier. Chillichump on YouTube who certainly knows his stuff always says use between a 7-10 litre pot for chillis depending on the size of the plant.

I grow all my toms in 15litre pots. But they are self watering via a wick. I'd defo go bigger I was watering by hand.

Comment

For the tomatoes I use B & Q builders buckets.
          If you put them in smaller pots they dry out very quickly.
          Indeterminate tomatoes need plenty of space.
          Best of luck with them.

And when your back stops aching,
          And your hands begin to harden.
          You will find yourself a partner,
          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Yes I grow my tomatoes in pots in the greenhouse. Not sure how many litres it holds but they are probably about 30 diameter and need a decent depth. Basically bucket size.

Comment

We grow Gardener's Delight in beds in the greenhouse and when we come to clear them out the root system is surprisingly big. They also suck up loads of water.

If you are going to grow them to maturity in pots I'd say 30cm minimum and be prepared to water them every day.

​​​​If the compost ever dries out its hard to rewet it. Try to avoid that, but if it does happen then one or two drops of washing up liquid in the water helps re-wetting.
              I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Thanks all. Good info

and yes lol sorry about the Auto correction in my post.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X