Digging one Bed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digging one Bed

I know some people here are dedicated to the no dig model so just ignore this thread. I have a 3 year crop rotation on plot number 1 that goes Legumes -> Potatoes -> Brassicas -> Legumes etc. I always manure the Brassica bed and use my own compost on the others. My question is - If you could only dig one bed a year which would it be? In other words which crop would benefit most from digging? I have mostly perennials in Plot 2 but rotate an Allium bed and a bed almost entirely for Peas and I don't dig either of them.

If it were me, the potatoes. But I'd still be generous with the compost.

Comment

I'd go for potatoes too. Brassicas and onions prefer firm ground.
      Location ... Nottingham

Comment

+1 for potatoes. Having said that I am somewhere between no-dig and dig a bit before planting anything: sort of not-dig-much.

I get a couple of tractor scoops of manure delivered over the wall and most of it goes on where potatoes are going. (The rest is used as mulch on a decorative perennial boarder)

Rotation is a bit hit and miss due to poor memory and indifferent planning.
        I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Thanks for your replies, I had a feeling it would be Potatoes! I ran out of time this year and wondered if there was a different strategy.

Comment

If your potatoes are going in the legume bed it won’t really need digging. I wouldn’t dig the potato bed now if you’ll be planting brassicas in it,just dig out any volunteers if there are any. That’s a different strategy,involving not much digging

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X