Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long have you guys managed to store your crops?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long have you guys managed to store your crops?

Just as the title says, how long have you guys managed to store your autumn crops into the following year?
    I've still got half a squash in the fridge (my last one) which I cut open a week ago, and I still have two large sweet potatoes left over from last autumn's harvest. I also still have a few dried beans, but I don't think they really count, seeing as they'll last indefinitely as long as you can keep insects out of them.

Sweetcorn, lightly blanched in a steamer, cooled quickly, dried then frozen. Last a good nine months.
    I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

I've still got a few squash in the loft. And lots of beans and chillis in the freezer. My onions sent up their flower stalk in march. Garlic went mushy in Feb. The last of my potatoes started sprouting around then too. Still got lots of dried cherry tomatoes in olive oil. I was told they wouldn't keep long but it's been about 9 months so far and they lovely. Think that's about it. Currently living off salad, kale, spring onions from my tunnel and field bean tops from outside. Just wish spring would get going!

Comment

We're still using last year's potatoes and onions.

Comment

Just a solitary squash.
          Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
          Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
          https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
          Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

A few freezer items, runners, french beans, JA's then jars of pickles and some kale, chard, lettuce in the garden.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Are you meaning stored as ‘fresh’?

I have onions, shallots and a couple of sad looking squash still to eat.

The rest are in preserving jars or frozen...or still in the ground!

We ate the last of our spuds back in February if I recall...would have been later if something hadn’t eaten the rest stored in the barn.

I ended up freezing the last of my apple store so the ‘wildlife’ in the barn didn’t go for those too, but they were good for a few more weeks.
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

There is one remaining butternut squash, there are still a few portions of of mashed potatoes in the freezer. And a few jars of canned tomatoes. Oh and jam, lots of jam.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                  Are you meaning stored as ‘fresh’?
                  I am, yes.
                  I thought of this topic as a sort of place for people to boast about how long they have managed to make certain things last, and there's not really anything boast-worthy about keeping dried, frozen or pickled foods. They'll last indefinitely, after all. I still have some whitecurrants in the freezer from last year, myself.

Comment

I've still got some elephant garlic bulbs I'm occasionally roasting or chucking in a dish. Probably still 6 or seven left.

Comment

Originally posted by MelanieSW View Post
                      There is one remaining butternut squash, there are still a few portions of of mashed potatoes in the freezer. And a few jars of canned tomatoes. Oh and jam, lots of jam.
                      You've done well to keep a butternut this long. They were on their way out in a matter of weeks for me. All my other squashes kept for months.

Comment

Just remembered that there is still some garlic in the shed, however it is getting very borderline

Comment

Used the very last garlic clove from last years crop tonight. Still got a few rasps and chillis in the freezer.

Comment

I ballanced a bulb of store bought garlic on the tool shed window latch against the single glazed window expecting the freezing weather to set it off sprouting. Nothing happened so I planted the cloves anyway and they came up in a matter of days and are now a foot high.
                            Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

I am still using last years shallots and a couple of bulbs of garlic. Shallots hanging in the garage and garlic on a shelf in the porch. There is a bit of green shoot to extract before cooking but perfectly usable.
                              I dig up and keep my root veg in previously used spud compost. This stops slug damage which would occur if left on the plot. Also it is outside the back door for easy access. A couple of weeks ago when reusing the compost I uncovered a parsnip that was just fine and not woody at all.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X