Wheat growing.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheat growing.

Just curious: has anyone ever grown wheat to make flour? Would it be worth it on a garden or allotment scale?
    Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Probably not worthwhile financially, as you could grow produce of far more economic value on the same piece of land. I found this online:

"Consider that roughly 10 square feet – about the size of the average kitchen table – will produce about a pound of wheat, which makes a pound of flour; and 1 cup of sifted flour weighs about 4 ounces; and a small loaf of bread can be made with 4 cups of flour. So that kitchen-table-size plot should grow enough for a loaf of bread."

Here: https://www.mofga.org/resources/gardening/wheat/

Comment

One of my allotment neighbours is growing wheat this year. He has given an area of about 10x8 feet to it, so according to the above he should have enough for 8 loaves.

I also accidentally grew some wheat the year before last. It just came up, presumably from spilled bird seed, and I let it grow and ripen. There were only two or three plants, but each plant produces 4-6 seed heads, so after threshing it I had enough to boil like rice or pearl barley for dinner for the three of us. Boiled whole wheat is actually really nice, I think nicer than rice or pearl barley.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X